Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How does one determine DA(H) and MDA(H) using the ICAO charts found in the AIP in Europe?

This altimeter check tolerance is already taken into account when the OCA(H) for an approach is determined.

So if your altimeter over reads by 70 feet on the ramp check (75 feet in FAA renders it unacceptable, UK SOP is lower) you do not feel the need to adjust minima? OCA(H) is unlikely to be 130 feet which is the implication of ignoring a PEC adjustment to minima.

While EASA ATPL papers go into altimetry at length (including the papers required for a PPL/IR), as does the FAA AIP and Instrument Flying Handbook: Should we not apply this learning in the absence of a POH confirmation of PEC adjustment?

I am just making the safety case for this, given the relatively unsophisticated nature of a light GA pitot static altimeter system (some altimeters still operating 50 years on). Cracker Jack toy in certain types.

Minimums are not adjusted because at the high pressure above 31.00 inches,

Correct, but you go around at published DA which is in effect above QNH minima as your altimeter setting is below prevailing pressure. Radar altimeter and CAT 2 allows descent to design minima. Minima for designating alternates is however increased.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

So if your altimeter over reads by 70 feet on the ramp check (75 feet in FAA renders it unacceptable, UK SOP is lower) you do not feel the need to adjust minima?

No.

OCA(H) is unlikely to be 130 feet which is the implication of ignoring a PEC adjustment to minima.

My understanding is that the “PEC adjustment” is something different than the altimeter check margin?

Anyway, I assume you mean height of the controlling obstacle, not OCA(H)? If the OCH is 200 ft, then the controlling obstacle is at most 70 ft above threshold. (As Bookworm has already pointed out, the minimum obstacle clearance for an ILS/LPV with normal glideslope is 130 ft for an approach category A aircraft.)

(PS. I am aware that when using the collision risk model for determining the OCA(H), there is no controlling obstacle as such, but the 130 ft MOC still applies.)

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 09 Jul 19:03
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The bit I’ve never been able to understand is that PEC has already been taken into account with the OCH(A) on a none precision approach. But then hasn’t on a precision approach.

Error just waiting to happen there.

Bathman wrote:

The bit I’ve never been able to understand is that PEC has already been taken into account with the OCH(A) on a none precision approach. But then hasn’t on a precision approach.

Error just waiting to happen there.

The MOC for a non-precision approach is at least 246 ft, compared to 130 ft for a precision approach, so the margin is greater.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

RobertL18C wrote:

So if your altimeter over reads by 70 feet on the ramp check (75 feet in FAA renders it unacceptable, UK SOP is lower) you do not feel the need to adjust minima? OCA(H) is unlikely to be 130 feet which is the implication of ignoring a PEC adjustment to minima.

No, the aircraft is unairworthy for IFR use, so before conducting IFR, get it fixed.

RobertL18C wrote:

I am just making the safety case for this, given the relatively unsophisticated nature of a light GA pitot static altimeter system (some altimeters still operating 50 years on). Cracker Jack toy in certain types.

No matter how old the altimeter is, it needs to pass the 91.411 check every two years. Most of the older altimeters can’t pass because of hysteresis and friction or case leaks.

To a US Pilot, what the HEC is PEC :)

KUZA, United States

AeroPlus wrote:

You need to determine the length of the approach lights from the ICAO aerodrome chart to determine if the lights are basic or high-intensity approach lights, thus giving you the BALS etc setting. (…)

I could see if I can find some time after the summer to bring back the FAQ in the app.

Thanks for the approach light explanation, and in advance for the possible return of the FAQ.

AeroPlus wrote:

The app was meant as a contribution at that time to the GA flying community to get rid of the expensive Jeppesen charts.

Yes, that’s how I hoped to use it.

ELLX
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message