Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Atlas Air 3591 - perhaps EASA CPL/IR checkrides might include additional emergency scenarios

You also get a couple of emergencies, not just the standard engine failure and glide approach.

Biggin Hill

The original video has been removed by its uploader.

I thought an EASA CPL skills test is just a VFR flight, and the entire training is a dual flying VFR nav exercise. The EASA IR includes unusual attitude recovery (at least mine did in 2012).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

while I enjoy the elegance of the concepts and the use of gates

I don’t think gates are taught outside the UK. I’ve taken IR training twice and never heard of it until I read the PPL/IR Europe instrument training manual.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

A (practice) diversion because of physiological needs is all it takes to get student´s brains going.

That’s a good idea!

always learning
LO__, Austria

@Malibu
I think what was meant were the initial License Skill Tests.
So a PPL checkride would give the PPL license and a SEP or TMG classrating.
CPL/IR gives CPL license and e.g. IR for the SEP.
And so on..

always learning
LO__, Austria

Or IR or ATP or CFI or CFII.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Malibuflyer wrote:

In EASA-Land there is no such thing as a PPL or CPL check ride. Licenses are valid indefinitely.

You do check rides for ratings so SEP/MEP/… and Typeratings as well as IR. Typically one does the IR-checkride together with the SEP/MEP/TR one – but they don’t differentiate if the underlying license is a PPL, CPL or ATPL

Check ride is the FAA term for an initial test flight before you get your CPL or PPL.

EGTK Oxford

In EASA-Land there is no such thing as a PPL or CPL check ride. Licenses are valid indefinitely.

You do check rides for ratings so SEP/MEP/… and Typeratings as well as IR. Typically one does the IR-checkride together with the SEP/MEP/TR one – but they don’t differentiate if the underlying license is a PPL, CPL or ATPL

Last Edited by Malibuflyer at 20 Jul 19:19
Germany

@JasonC I do wonder at the devotion to the NDB hold in particular – while I enjoy the elegance of the concepts and the use of gates, I have never flown an NDB hold in anger. GPS waypoint holds, VOR like Lambourne, sure, but never an NDB. As the procedural approach starts from a hold, and most training airfields have an NDB locator, I guess it is a train for test feature. Ideally more time on scenario based training might be useful.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

It´s not only on the CPL checkrides. During my PPL checkride in FL, 2016 , I had a “rough running engine” followed by a “fire in the engine compartment”. I try to do this to my students from time to time, and it does not even have to be dramatic. A (practice) diversion because of physiological needs is all it takes to get student´s brains going.
But I´m not sure if the Atlas accident would have been prevented with different checkride scenarios. The FO had not come fresh from a flight school but had quite a bit of experience in previous jobs.

EDFE, EDFZ, KMYF, Germany
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message