Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Any way to fly a TB20 EGKA-EGHE with a real ATC clearance for the whole route?

You get the same.

You have to make sure you get the onward clearances; can’t assume ATC will do them. Maybe they will, as they see you heading towards CAS, but do you feel lucky ? Personally, I don’t want to risk having to do a 60 degree roll angle 180. So I start working on it some 50+ miles back.

The fact is that as far as the UK system is concerned, you do not have any clearance for CAS once having left it, unless ATC says you have, and I have never heard them say that. All they will say IME is that they will get you a further clearance later. I have recorded all the audio on this flight, obviously

Western Radar keeps a better eye on things (IME) than UK does generally.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

don’t they at least tell you ‘IFR canceled now’ with a time stamp when you leave CAS into G ?

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 27 Aug 14:41
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

No.

IFR in Class G is legal in the UK, even non-radio. No need to cancel IFR.

You just lose a clearance to re-enter CAS.

Half the trouble with all this is that ICAO is built on airlines and they fly mostly in CAS. That is how aviation works. GA “bends” the system and different countries have found different ways to accommodate this “bending”.

The best ones (well, the most convenient) simply use radar to keep an eye on you and don’t really care whether you are in CAS or not. That’s what e.g. France does. The downside is there is an ambiguity about your clearance, which the system could use to screw the pilot if they wanted to.

Administrator

Looks like your superior preparation and anticipation paid off.
But I agree than Letter of Agreement (LoA) between ANSP should be published or at least the who control what at which altitude/level bit for the benefit of pilot and third-party ANSP.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

ICAO is built on airlines and they fly mostly in CAS

I am sure they get few ones going down to 8kft-10kft to breath from time to time but that would be on 7700

To answer IFR lost comms, I was told by some of the D&D guys that on PANPAN 7700, you ABSOLUTELY need CAS clearances and they are subject to workload, for lost comms 7600 I imagine the same, however on MAYADAY 7700 they will open all doors for you

So continue IFR as filed on 7600 is high likely to get you fried !
It would be more sensible to get “clearance limit” anytime you descend bellow CAS rather than fly fully in CAS which what I would guess other countries will do for IFR that goes in Class G when say you want to change level going down bellow their route floor?

Last Edited by Ibra at 27 Aug 15:29
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Half the trouble with all this is that ICAO is built on airlines and they fly mostly in CAS. That is how aviation works. GA “bends” the system and different countries have found different ways to accommodate this “bending”. The best ones (well, the most convenient) simply use radar to keep an eye on you and don’t really care whether you are in CAS or not.

I think the best ones implement Class E airspace, and do not try to make aviation ‘work’ without it actually working.

It’s fascinating reading how this played out in reality. Particularly showing how unfit the system is for GA IFR. It’s a real shame.

What mess. Are you overthinking thing or is it that us foreigners don’t know any better, or could it be that to ATC we’re not worth the trouble? When I flew IFR from Exeter (EGTE) to Southend (EGMC) I followed exactly the same procedure as I do in France. I went onto Autorouter and it gave me a route via SAM and around the north of London. That route was validated and filed etc.
I took off from Exeter and was immediately sent along the south coast and around the South of London, over Shoreham in fact. No different to a reroute I might have received in France. The big difference was being asked what service I required. I had heard of "basic service " etc from this forum so just kept asking for a deconfliction service. Once or twice I was told that because of workload they may not be able to provide that service. I am never asked for that under an IFR flight plan in France. The only other difference was that I occasionally had to remind ATC that 2 minutes from next way point and they gave me a new way point and where necessary switched me to another frequency. I flew the whole route at FL 090. Not once was I told I was leaving controlled airspace
In France ATC often tell you that you are leaving controlled airspace but going in and out of CAS is not usually a problem and it was the same in the UK and has been on all the flights I have made there. Never once have they cancelled my IFR without my requesting it, as far as I know. Only once did I cause a bit of confusion to UK ATC and that was going into Sywell when I was told to descend and that I would leave CAS at 6000 ft and I asked if I could change frequency to Sywell. The lady ATSO simply said that I would be outside of CAS and could do what I wanted .
The difference in France is that the ATCO and the FISO are often the same person so we might change frequency later.
they often do but going in and out of controlled iuto router. often goes out of the window as we are given instructions by ATC or ask for and are given directs by ATC.
I can’t criticise the ATS and although there have been some slight differences I had no great problems and I have never been informed that I broke any UK regulations.
Exeter however did inform Autorouter that I had missed my slot when I took off exactly on time.
Why that was I don’t know and didn’t do any research to find out.
However what would I have done if I had had some of the problems UK pilots seem to be worried about I don’t know. I would have probably had to tell ATS to sort it out. I had no VFR charts other than some airport charts. As was IFR so didn’t need them. Maybe I would have had to declare an emergency who knows.
Perhaps ignorance really is bliss.

France

At what levels did you fly, Gallois?

I know one pilot, with just a PPL, and a strong accent because he lives in far-SE Europe, who filed a Eurocontrol flight plan right across the UK, and got a pretty good service. Obviously the whole flight was illegal. So maybe ATC do treat foreign pilots differently, knowing that they will be expecting the usual sort of route clearance.

Administrator

gallois wrote:

I flew the whole route at FL 090. Not once was I told I was leaving controlled airspace

At FL90, I assume you never left CAS en-route all the way from Exeter to Southend? you departed Exeter in Class G joined CAS somewhere 5nm west of Bournemouth and stayed in CAS all the way to Southend CAS?

At FL50 that IFR flight would be interesting as Bournemouth & Southhampton will have no clue who you are
Even if you got through these, next will be London FIS and they love to say “Mode ChAArrrlie remain OCAS” by default but Southend will be expecting you

Last Edited by Ibra at 27 Aug 17:48
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message