Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Finding Time for Flying

Definitely a cessna caravan yes. Their farm must be a big one !

About Medewok question :
I used to work 15 minutes from LFPT so I did my currency flights after work. It worked great. I could take some coworkers too. From November to March, I would only do those at night, to the point that day flying seemed strange to me My field has PCL so no limitations except a voluntary curfew after 10 or 11pm. Good VFR nights in winter are scarce, so I had to be flexible. I tried once to fly at noon but it lead to a very long lunch break.
Now, I am not sure what I will do. I don’t like being limited to weekend flying but that’s where I am at. This year is special in every way and for now I fly a trip every month which serves as my currency flight, but it is luck.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 17 Sep 09:55
LFOU, France

Anybody recognises it? Looks like something akin to a Cessna Caravan?

ELLX

Maybe other thread would be more relevant but thought of this one when I saw this

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-australia-54173968

Family comutes 1800km to run an outback pub in Australia. And it’s not a very ‘small’ plane….

EHLE, Netherlands

LeSving wrote:

I have always had this little dream of flying across white winter mountains at night, with a full moon and stars In a few months …

You’re going to love it!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

MedEwok wrote:

when do you typically go flying?

From April to October Up here it is daylight in the summertime 24/7, so any time is OK. Winter is more problematic, but when I get my night rating I can fly in dark winter nights also. I have always had this little dream of flying across white winter mountains at night, with a full moon and stars In a few months …

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

At last there is something good to be said about legacy twins :-)

Capitaine wrote:

I found flying with one child at home ok, but two young children is a problem

Thanks for the tip, solution1: DA50 with 3 seats in the back and solution2: no 2nd child , sadly DA50 is not FAA certified yet !

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Sep 14:53
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I found flying with one child at home ok, but two young children is a problem: it’s not really fair to leave my wife alone with them at the weekend. She’s supportive, but not too keen on flying any more. Well, she is keen on Alderney and Le Touquet, but not with two screaming kids This might have to wait until they’re a bit older.

What I’ve done in the past for longer flights is take a day off work, which usually works better for aircraft availability and weather, so I’ll have to do this more often. Being self-employed, I can have as much holiday as I want and whenever I want it. On the downside, mistakes happen when I’m away and I know exactly how much it costs The record is a mis-forwarded email losing a customer worth £30k/yr.

My normal currency flight is a round trip to LFAC or LFAT, but with Covid I’m going to have to find some places to go in the UK. I’ll also have to use the flying time more efficiently and either practice a particular skill or go to new airfield. I’ve taken steps to reduce non-flying time (moving planes in and out of the hangar etc).

We’ve not yet used grandparent babysitting, but this might be an easy solution.

Time of day
Almost always in the morning, for however long it takes – an hour, or two, or all morning, or all day. Once I’ve started something (home improvement, trip to the zoo etc), it’s not easy to drop it and go flying.
What I used to do quite often was circuits or a quick local after work. This is especially nice in the autumn when the weather is still good and you can watch the sunset.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

MedEwok wrote:

Depends… With my wife it will typically be a longer trip which we’ll do on a weekend. By myself usually evenings or daytime — as a university lecturer I have quite flexible work hours.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

MedEwok wrote:

Given my job it’s Weekends only, early morning for my own practice or the whole weekend when GA travelling
I stopped gliding as I tend to have family stuff later on the day

Weekday flying is “exception for me” but not sure if this one case answers your question: after Wednesday work party, cross-channel crossing at 9pm, 16 night T&G under full moon with another pilot to Calais, back at 2am to the UK and join the same party or whatever left of it and finally have a drink?

Looking back, we should not have bragged about that story at the workplace

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Sep 09:21
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
91 Posts
Sign in to add your message