Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What exactly causes Eurocontrol tracking to start and end?

On this,

https://www.euroga.org/forums/flying/12277-what-exactly-causes-eurocontrol-tracking-to-start-and-end/post/327481#327481

I got an explanation: codes assigned do not come from CFMU and POGO flights are too short for system to send regular updates (there is no en-route or hold segment)

I also got all my flight logs (radar & radio) from ATS and extra information how to depart & arrive without ATS, it’s impressive how much gets logged in the system…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

On this mystery missing AR tracks,

https://www.euroga.org/forums/flying/12277-what-exactly-causes-eurocontrol-tracking-to-start-and-end/post/327481#327481

I got an explanation: codes assigned on POGO flights without ATS do not come from CFMU plus those flights are too short for system to send automatic regular updates every 15min (there is no route or hold segment), I also got all my flight logs (radar track & radio transcript) plus extra information how to depart & arrive without ATS, it’s impressive how much gets automatically logged in the system…

Bonus explanation, why @gallois never got 1000 ModeS after years of flying IFR in France? ATS may allocate different codes than 1000 if the pilot use French in his radio calls and/or fly bellow General Delta under in zones, airways or non controlled…it seems ModeS with cruise in 12k-18k plus Engligh RT = 1000 most of the times

In other words, ATC have some discretion and headroom to allocate more tranponder codes than the one paired between CFMU & FPL…

Last Edited by Ibra at 28 Oct 11:52

That’s very interesting. Thankyou @Ibra.

France

I have another fresh data point. Today I flew LFMT-EGKA and when I came off London Control (“clear to leave CAS by descent”) they didn’t tell me to set any squawk so I kept the original one, 6763.

And sure enough the tracking went all the way to the runway

In fact now, an hour later, the AR still shows it as “arriving” EGKA was A/G only and probably didn’t send off an ARR message.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

In fact now, an hour later, the AR still shows it as “arriving”

I was told that you need to reset the transponder to 2000 and standby to ‘switch it off at the other end’

United Kingdom

That would be amazing. I never do either 2000 or Standby.

I was going to do another test: set it to 7000 (I never use 2000) and note the time, then see when the tracking stopped. If they match, it is the loss of the original Eurocontrol code which stops the tracking, or an ARR message.

Still don’t know what starts the tracking. Somebody in ATC will know but has not posted it thus far.

Administrator

Who sends ARR messages? does the A/G in Shoreham send this for Eurocontrol IFR FPL?

For sure, AR tracking stops when you switch to generic transponder codes: 1177, 7000, 2000, FMC or other discreet unit codes

I am 100% sure if you switch to other codes you will lose it but I have no clue what start (or re-start) AR tracking?

While ago, I was expecting AR tracking to resume after I reverted from 1177 to Airway code while flying missed at Stapleford and negotiating my climb into airspace but actually it did not

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 Nov 23:14

Ibra wrote:

Who sends ARR messages? does the A/G in Shoreham send this for Eurocontrol IFR FPL?

My understanding is that in the UK no one does as flight plans do not need to be closed.

for Eurocontrol IFR FPL?

All IFR flight plans in (geographical) Europe are “Eurocontrol flightplans” as they are all processed by the IFPS.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

All IFR flight plans in (geographical) Europe are “Eurocontrol flightplans” as they are all processed by the IFPS.

You mean the ones that actually end in CAS? Not sure what happens if you file something like EGCK DCT SEMMU DCT FOXLA EGFE – there no CAS nearby…

EGTR

All I Z Y plans go to IFPS.

This then validates the IFR portion and distributes it appropriately to various countries.

Each country decides how far before EOBT it wants to receive it (a typical time is 12-24hrs, not the EOBT minus 5 days IFPS limit) and then that country decides what to do with it internally.

The UK discards plans which are not “decisively” in CAS as far as any service / distribution to enroute units goes (because there is no service assured other than ICAO FIS e.g. London INFO) so e.g. EGKA-EGMD at 2000ft (this topic much discussed before; I think it does actually validate) just disappears as far as any enroute service goes but EGKA and EGMD do get a copy (which is of no use to them whatsoever). This is a whole big topic; see the #1 hit under “Threads possibly related to this one” below

In each country, the FP also goes to a private database accessible to S&R and national security agencies (this aspect is probably universal worlwide) and this is true even for V plans which exist only transiently as AFTN messages. In fact in most of the world you don’t have “IFPS” and plans are only transient messages on the AFTN, and there is no validation system.

IFPS is a good system, and incidentally provides work for 150,000 “there is no social problem which cannot be solved with 200,000 lines of C++” unix programmers who would otherwise end up on the job market, depressing programming salaries and creating a worldwide economic slump. Eric Sivel, once a deputy head of EASA, explained to me in a London pub that for every 1000 pages EASA generates, Eurocontrol generates 10,000 and you need a trolley to move these, which is fine because nobody reads them.

Administrator
70 Posts
Sign in to add your message