Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A circular trip to the UK - where are the scenic bits?

Another (shorter?) round-trip you could do, but not just the UK, is across to Dover→Isle of White (needles)→Cherbourg→Normandy beaches→Calais and home to Belgium.

Regards, SD..

I am a little bit more ambitious than SD : Dover, IOW, Scillies, Ouessant, Brittany coast, Normandy, Belgium
830nm from EBOS

LFOU, France

Scillies to Ouessant would be really nice. Those two look ever so similar, both from the air and on the ground. No doubt identical geology.

Then all you’ve got to watch, on the way back, is French mil R areas and their nuclear power station ZITs

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Jujupilote wrote:

I am a little bit more ambitious than SD : Dover, IOW, Scillies, Ouessant, Brittany coast, Normandy, Belgium
830nm from EBOS

I like it!!

However when I fly “to look at the view from above” I tend not to fly in straight lines but circle something interesting, duck ’n dive around things, and generally end up flying twice as long and using twice as much fuel as if I were actually “going somewhere”

I have phoned up the Scilly Isles regarding a circular trip like discussed here and they were not welcoming. Basically, “depends on the traffic on the day, and can’t speak for what the ATCO will let you do or not”.

It is Class G, so except for the ATZ there is nothing to bust, but there is some kind of “control zone” there (from Lands End) whose legal meaning is unclear.

Administrator

Well Sky Demon says “Transit Corridor”…
No mention of needing to be in radio contact, no mention of transponder.
What does it mean?

All I can find is this and variations of it

I do know that the units in that area (Newquay and Culdrose) are very keen for you to be talking to Lands End and then get a handover to Scilly Isles. The over impression is that they can just refuse you going in there, though legally that cannot be the case.

Administrator

I don’t believe there is any requirement to be in contact with them to enter, although it’s probably a good idea. They are looking to change that airspace (where was a consultation that ended recently). In the consultation they mention that there are often aircraft in there, not talking to anyone. The also make it clear that it’s not controlled airspace.

So I don’t think they can refuse you entry into the corridor. But once you talk to ATC in class G, they are allowed to assume that you will follow their instructions, unless you tell them that you are not following them (which you are entitled to do).

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

In the consultation they mention that there are often aircraft in there, not talking to anyone.

This is typical of the sort of thing that control freaks within the system say. They state this as though it is a problem requiring a solution.

dublinpilot wrote:

So I don’t think they canti refuse you entry into the corridor.

The ‘corridor’ has no more regulatory or legal status than a circle I might choose to draw around my house on the map, so they most certainly cannot refuse entry.

dublinpilot wrote:

But once you talk to ATC in class G, they are allowed to assume that you will follow their instructions

I can’t comment on what their SOPs may allow them to assume, but there is no requirement for an aircraft flying in Class G airspace to follow ATC instructions and ATC have no right to give them. Some units (e.g. Farnborough before they got their Class D) have been notable for issuing firmly-worded ‘polite requests’ that to any private pilot of less than 110% confidence basically amount to an instruction. They know what effect their ‘requests’ have and they make use of it – I recall once replying “negative, continuing climb” to a Farnborough controller who tried to stuff me back down below 2,000ft for the convenience of his high-net-worth inbound, and you could basically hear him frothing and spitting over the airwaves.

If you want to go and do a scenic flight around the Scilly Isles then just do it – it’s Class G airspace. I’d no more think to ask Lands End or Scilly Isles ATC whether it was ok with them than I’d ask Southampton ATC whether a trip round the IoW was ok. You only need their permission to enter their ATZs, which you probably have no need to do anyway? Might be amusing to listen out on their frequency and see if they try to call you up.

Last Edited by Graham at 06 May 16:02
EGLM & EGTN

Done this very flight not so long ago. Didn’t occur to call for any permission, certainly nothing on the transit corridor indicates it is needed, just filed a VFR plan and headed off for a sightseeing flight with a view to seeing the Scilly Isles from the air. Ultimately ended up transferring from Newquay to Culdrose who coordinated a handover to Lands End who in turn done the same for Scilly Isles and back to Culdrose.

Nothing more than mentioning on a VFR sightseeing flight and ATC were all very helpful. No drama.

Hopefully will be able to return and land at Scilly Isles sometime soon for day trip.

DA62
EGTK, United Kingdom
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message