Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What's the point of IFR route filing?

Airborne_Again wrote:

You know that Garmin Pilot uses Autorouter to find routes? Any differences between using GP or AR directly is due to different parameters given to AR by GP.

Yes I know – most likely its the business case in Autorouter. However, the GP implementation sometimes gives up (probably due to hidden parameters) or times out with no route found. Then I go to Autorouter which in most cases finds a route which I then copy back to garmin pilot and validate/file. It doesn’t happen often though. The option to send the route via GP to my GT750 via flightstream sometimes takes 10 minutes of programming away in a sunbaked cockpit. That is truly worth every penny of Garmin Pilot.

Last Edited by THY at 02 Aug 10:02
THY
EKRK, Denmark

@ James_Chan good summary :-). compare the number of ACCs in europe with the size of the US to name one issue…..I am still surprised it all goes so well :-)

EBST

I tried once a couple of years ago, to file IFR from EBKT (to clear customs) to Duxford which passed the IFPS system….I was presented with a 2.5 hour slot delay arriving at EBKT. I canceled the plan and went VFR…I always for IFR use autorouter, paste it into SD and my local ANSP webpage for filing to avoid surprises. I call them always also and it allows me to have a PIB narrow route briefing which is more condensed.

EBST

THY wrote:

The option to send the route via GP to my GT750 via flightstream sometimes takes 10 minutes of programming away in a sunbaked cockpit.

Not sure what you mean by this. I also use a FlightStream with ForeFlight, and it never takes 10 minutes to do anything. Which part of the process takes the time?

EHRD, Netherlands

dutch_flyer wrote:

Not sure what you mean by this. I also use a FlightStream with ForeFlight, and it never takes 10 minutes to do anything. Which part of the process takes the time?

I just meant that its a great timesaver and very convenient to be able to transfer a full fligthplan route from a phone/tablet to the GPS. In my case to a GTN750 via garmin pilot running on an Ipad. Being able to do this easily saves 10 minutes of manual programming sitting in the plane if its a long route.

THY
EKRK, Denmark

With the caveat that it is not really necessary to have the full route in the navigator upon departure. I normally complete the flightplan once things calm down in cruise flight. Sometimes I don‘t even do that, because DCTs by ATC often skip dozens of waypoints.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

RR does a great job for me, almost always…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Speaking of routing, how would I go about getting a valid route that minimises travel time over water? Now that the UK is open I’d like to fly to EGKA, but I want to specify the short route over water from Calais. How would one practically achieve this? All the routes suggested by the Autorouter and FF spend a lot of time over water.

EHRD, Netherlands

I would specify a fly-by waypoint or two.

Same as one might do to get a particular Alps routine e.g. LDLO-EGKA via SRN gives you the shortest crossing of the mountains.

However, if EGKA is the destination, you need to be descending anyway, so you may as well descend below CAS, which initially is FL075, then 065, then 5500ft, and then you can do whatever routing you like. BTW, if you do this, London Control won’t want to talk to you so France will hand you to “London 124.6” which is London INFO (ICAO FIS) but you can just change directly to Shoreham 123.15 when within 30-40nm.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Autorouter speciffically has the „avoid open waters“ option.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message