Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Temporary loss of VOR/LOC signal on approach

My primary reason for asking is that tomorrow morning I’m flying my skill test to convert my FAA IR, and in case it happens and the examiner asks, I want to know the official rules.

EHRD, Netherlands

dutch_flyer wrote:

My primary reason for asking is that tomorrow morning I’m flying my skill test to convert my FAA IR, and in case it happens and the examiner asks, I want to know the official rules.

Do you have a second NAV/COMM to cross check?
„Ahh, nav flag, gone again, cross check, looks good,
continue, maybe some car drove too close to the station.“

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Do you have a second NAV/COMM to cross check?

Unfortunately no I don’t.

EHRD, Netherlands

I think the degradation of ILS to LOC will be done the same way as LPV to LNAV (or the same way as if you get asked on RVR degradation while on approach)

I gather getting no NAV flag on ILS/LOC/VOR in front of an examiner bellow 1000ft agl is go-missed or fail, especially if you did not notice it

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 Aug 19:15
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

Designated Operational Coverage

Never heard of it being used. Not in the PCG or AIM. I have heard of terms such as service volume. Closest is in the AIM Fig 1-1-6, Limits of Localizer Coverage. Otherwise, in my 53 years as a US pilot, I have never come across this acronym.

KUZA, United States

Designated Operational Coverage appears to be defined in this ICAO document

DOC may be referred to in the UK as a matter of course, but I don’t think it is that abstruse. My first IR was not 53 years ago, but it did involve LF four course ranges so sometime in the jurassic period, and you had to show planning for figuring out the legality of a useable radio aid.

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 30 Aug 00:23
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I don’t think the OP’s problem is anything to do with the DOC of either the LOC or the GS.

These are receivable from much further out than the published approach. I can pick up the Lydd EGMD ILS from at least 25D – probably at something like 5000ft (the platform is 3200ft) and this is handy for a quick Class G avionics check.

It could be various things. One is this. Another is this. Here is another (a partly blown up and thus marginal GS receiver).

The OP doesn’t say whether the fault was with the LOC or the GS, but the reference to a VOR suggests this might be the VOR or LOC signal, which are normally processed by the same hardware (they are decoded differently, and the GS circuit is separate).

I had this an this (with the link it in) is worth a read.

As with my Pontoise problem above, it could be just a bad antenna or a broken wire, resulting in a marginal signal.

I would start by getting an avionics check done, by a competent avionics guy who has the proper kit (an IFR4000 or similar) with an attenuator.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

NCYankee wrote:

Otherwise, in my 53 years as a US pilot, I have never come across this acronym.

Thanks for the exoneration!

Peter wrote:

The OP doesn’t say whether the fault was with the LOC or the GS, but the reference to a VOR suggests this might be the VOR or LOC signal, which are normally processed by the same hardware (they are decoded differently, and the GS circuit is separate).

It was LOC + VOR, and I do think it seems like an antenna issue.

Incidentally it didn’t occur today and I passed.

EHRD, Netherlands

Congratulations :)
Now you can get it fixed right ;)

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Congratulations, well done. Flying any test when you know there might be problems can up the stress levels a bit.

France
Sign in to add your message