Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA IR or UK IR for FAA PPL and IR holder with no European or UK PPL

crack on with it, before Oct/Nov/Dec arrives and the wx becomes unflyable much of the time

One option would then be to do the conversion in a sunnier EASA location (e.g. Malta ) before 31 Dec 2021. You can find some more info at https://info.caa.co.uk/uk-eu-transition/

NeilC
EGPT, LMML

From the French DGAC website
“From January 1st 2021 (Brexit implementation), examiners holding a certificate issued by the UK CAA are no longer authorised to perform skill tests, proficiency checks or assessments of competence on French Licence Holders, even if they are registered on the list of Non-French Examiners.”
Examiners from other EASA countries who are on the list are still able to do such tests anf others can apply. I am still looking to find tests by USA examiners, if there are any on the list.

France

@arj1 it’s the initial IR test that has to be done in EASA airspace (or some part of it depending on NAA)

Revalidation IR test, this can be done on the moon if an IRE can sign or send the certificate to NAA to sign
Renewal IR test, there is ATO involvement, so no idea how it works

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

arj1, it’s been a few years since last doing an EASA IR PC in the US however I know of two UK/EASA IREs who will still conduct them there on request.

Ibra, candidates with an appropriate third country IR can avoid ATO involvement.

London, United Kingdom

Someone has suggested to me that flying a 2Reg aircraft in the UK with only the FAA PPL and IR will continue to be legal after the end of this year. Can anyone corroborate that? As stated at the beginning of the post, I only hold the FAA PPL (done in Florida) and the FAA IR (done at Calais and Le Touquet). I do not hold a European or UK PPL and am searching for the best solution to remain legal for flying in both the UK and Europe.

EGKB Biggin Hill London

Art 148(3)(c) in the UK Air Navigation Order, as amended by SI 2019 No. 645 sched 1, disallows that.

A UK Part-FCL PPL is appropriate to your needs. While you are ordinarily resident in the UK you may fly a US-registered aircraft, which you operate, outside the UK using a US pilot certificate.

Should you require an EASA PPL then you can use either the US–EU bilateral agreement or Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2020/723 (link). You probably satisfy the slightly more stringent conditions in the latter so either route can be used. The US–EU agreement cannot be used to obtain a non-EU EASA Part-FCL PPL which must instead be done under the delegated act. Section B in the technical procedures is available here (pdf link) and the associated generic application form here (pdf link).

The version of Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2020/723, as retained by the UK, has been amended by SI 2021 No. 614 though none is relevant to you.

London, United Kingdom

Also note para 2.1.3 in the TIP-L.

London, United Kingdom

@Qalupalik
Many thanks for that but trying to read those regs is quite complex.
Am I correct that with more than 100 hours of flight experience, I dont need to do the Air Law and Human Performance exams in order to be issued with an EASA PPL?
So it would simply be the Flight test with an examiner?

If the UK PPL and an EASA PPL both require the two written exams plus a Flight Test with examiner, which would you reccomend for someone flying an N reg aircraft based in the UK who flies VFR mainly in the UK and IFR into Europe?

EGKB Biggin Hill London

Perhaps I am missing something, but how would an EASA licence help you? You mention something about it being valid until 2022, but I only know about the automatic validation until 2022 for EASA licences in G- registered aircraft. The latest that I heard, was that the automatic validation only applies to EASA licences issued before 31 December 2020. For those issued from 1 January 2021 to 31 March 2021, the validation is only until 31 December 2021, and I believe that any licences issued after the 31 March 2021 don’t qualify at all.

Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)

The UK acceptance of EU papers is likely to be extended.

This is a major negotiating point which the UK has, it doesn’t cost it anything, it makes it look good (whereas Brussels’ non-acceptance of UK papers issued with “EASA” on them! makes Brussels look like a mean bully) and it doesn’t reduce FTO business (a major political point everywhere) so why throw that away.

which would you reccomend for someone flying an N reg aircraft based in the UK who flies VFR mainly in the UK and IFR into Europe?

A UK PPL, NQ IMCR and a medical

The UK PPL is the minimum to legalise the flight; they cannot tell whether you are actually in IMC if enroute. And the NQ is needed if you want to fly after official sunset plus 30 mins or so. The IMCR legalises flying an IAP in actual IMC.

The IMCR makes it legal to shoot an ILS when you get back.

My above Q about FAA IR → IMCR still stands. Has that conversion been removed?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message