Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA IR or UK IR for FAA PPL and IR holder with no European or UK PPL

My above Q about FAA IR → IMCR still stands. Has that conversion been removed?

I believe that the CAA will credit you with an IR(R) – the new IMC Rating – within 6 months of an FAA IR Flight Test or an IPC; but will not do so if your FAA IR is currently valid under the 6/6 Rule.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

@Cirrus_Man

That’s correct. The US–EU conversion agreement eliminates the 100 hour total experience requirement and replaces two written exams on air law and human performance with oral examining on air law and communication. The method of assessing language proficiency varies between competent authorities but ensure a level 6 endorsement is made on the licence to avoid future language proficiency reassessments.

There are some PPL flight examiners in the southeast authorised by UK CAA and one of the EU competent authorities. It ought to be possible to count a single PPL skill test with such an examiner towards both UK and EU Part-FCL PPLs assuming all the conditions in art 9 of regulation 2020/723 and the US–EU conversion agreement are met. However, there’s little point obtaining an EASA PPL unless intending to take up residence in an EASA member state or fly aircraft registered there.

London, United Kingdom

The US–EU conversion agreement eliminates the 100 hour total experience requirement and replaces two written exams on air law and human performance with oral examining on air law and communication.

I have changed the thread name about the “100hr route” to emphasise this new and highly relevant development.

This makes it even more interesting to do an FAA PPL, for a totally ab initio UK pilot. The 100hr requirement made that unattractive – to protect the flying school business, probably – but now you could use any US PPL school as the starting point. Then you come out with an FAA PPL also, which is valid for life, nobody can take it away from you, and you can bring it back to life anytime with just a BFR and a Class 3 medical.

I believe that the CAA will credit you with an IR(R) – the new IMC Rating – within 6 months of an FAA IR Flight Test or an IPC; but will not do so if your FAA IR is currently valid under the 6/6 Rule.

That’s how it was but I have a feeling that’s now gone.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The US–EU conversion agreement does not cover UK licences.

London, United Kingdom

Whoops

Thread title changed back again.

There is indeed no point in a UK resident private pilot having EASA papers, unless they want to rent a plane on the mainland (or some such).

Isn’t the UK CAA doing its own FAA-CAA treaty? They said so in one of the “brexit” videos, posted here a while ago.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Some of the competent authorities offer a 28-day, per calendar year, validation for non-commercial flying subject to undertaking an acclimatisation flight with an instructor and filing a declaration. The 28 days can be sprinkled throughout the year. The authorities I’ve checked limit the flying to day VFR.

London, United Kingdom

I think I am going to do the 2 UK exams and the PPL and IR checkrides in the UK.
I have all three medicals as I wanted to be prepared just in case. I have 500 hours and much more than 50 PIC IFR so hopefully qualify for the checkride only IR conversion once I have passed the two exams and gotten the UK PPL.
Thank you everyone for your assistance which has been helpful as always.

EGKB Biggin Hill London
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message