Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CBM IR "instrument time"

The proposed CBM IR will require 10hrs at an FTO plus 30hrs instrument time, if done as ab initio (not as an ICAO IR conversion).

Does anybody know if the 30hrs will be OK to do as

• IMC Rating training
  • any instrument training with any instructor anywhere
  • flying alone on IMCR privileges and logging instrument time
  • flying under the hood with a safety pilot in the RHS

I am sure the first three will be OK but what about the last one? You cannot be PIC at the time, but you are also not PIC if training towards anything whatsoever in a G-reg in the UK.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It has to be training by a certified instructor. Your imc training will probably count.

Nr 4 will not count .. The point being that it is a requirement to have a minimum of hours training.

I doubt EASA even know the answer to this. Anyway, until the rules are passed it's not even certain it's happening, although it seems none of the national authorities have a problem with it. Does anyone know the date of the meeting where it will be finalised?

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

What about the EIR? As far as I can tell EIR + IMCR = IR in UK airspace...Apart from visibility limitations for landing at 1800m

[edited before someone points out the obvious differences!]

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

What about the EIR? As far as I can tell EIR + IMCR = IR in UK airspace...

That's what I figured, and was hoping too

Not sure you would be allowed to do an approach procedure in Class A with that combo.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Sure, but that is only the Jersey zone airports. The other one is Heathrow and that bans light GA anyway.

It's an interesting point however.

However the EIR will IMHO not attract many takers because its study requirements (always a chestnut for the "IFR GA age group") are proposed to be the same as for the CBM IR, and it has been bad-mouthed all over the place (including by a very prominent UK AOPA activist posting all over the UK aviation chat sites) as a suicide rating.

Administrator

...and Jersey zone are proposing a switch to D below 3500ft See P63 here

So it seems an EIR + IMC/IRR holder can soon depart a UK airfield in marginal weather (having planned a sensible IFR departure alternate), join class 'A' airways and cancel IFR in the descent in sunshine to some GA friendly VFR destination in mainland Europe. Then return to the UK and plan to shoot an approach to IMC minimums anywhere in the UK (except Heathrow which bans GA anyway).

However what is the supposed EIR benefit to a pilot in say France? S/he already enjoys access to the extensive network of French VFR airways below FL115.

Thought the TK(theoretical knowledge) syllabus and mandatory classroom element for CBM and EIR were being reviewed downwards ); EASA being aware those dissuade take up.

I agree with Commander on the OP.

EGSG EGSX, United Kingdom

However what is the supposed EIR benefit to a pilot in say France? S/he already enjoys access to the extensive network of French VFR airways below FL115.

Those are not "airways" in the UK PPL training "keep out or they will execute you" sense - they are just lines on the map in what is Class E airspace, in which VFR is allowed, even non-radio i.e. no clearance required.

But let's say the cloudbase is 3000ft and the tops are FL130. The Class E base is mostly FL065 and below that you have various military airspace. You are now screwed into sitting in the muck.

And if you want to e.g. cross the Alps, you might be screwed into flying at FL129, 1000ft above the peaks, by Swiss ATC, because the Class C base is FL130. There is no traffic above but rules are rules...

Also often the cloud cover might be higher; say FL160.

If you can get the magic IFR clearance then there is no upper limit to how high you can go. ATC don't usually care at all - below about FL200/250 anyway.

ICAO allows VFR in Class C but in practice many ATC units have "private policies" on this.

One might point out that a C150 cannot go to FL130 or whatever but that has always been a limiting factor on the takeup of any IR, in Europe (outside the UK) where low level IFR is not normally viable. You do need the aircraft performance to make use of it.

Yes you still have to land "officially VFR" but that is normally easy enough to arrange if going somewhere in the warmer south. Especially if going to an airport on the coast...

Does anyone know any details of the proposed CBM IR or EIR exams? I have seen the proposed syllabus (the "learning objectives") which is the same as the JAA IR 7-exam syllabus but with a load of items removed. I think they took out about 75% of the stuff.

Administrator

However the EIR will IMHO not attract many takers because its study requirements (always a chestnut for the "IFR GA age group") are proposed to be the same as for the CBM IR

I don't fully agree... For me it's quite attractive. I'm getting towards the end of my ppl and I doubt very much that I'll manage to get the IMC rating by april. So EIR is a good stepping stone towards a CBM. Don't really mind studying the full material of the CBM if I plan in the future to have it. What I dislike about it is that it also seems to have the requirment of 10hrs at an FTO (if I read the proposal correctly). I think it makes sense to split the FTO time between the EIR and CBM.

18 Posts
Sign in to add your message