Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Child Seats in Aircraft

Something in “certification rules” that covers crash testing or dynamic landing with child seats? do you have a reference in FAR23 or CS23?

CS23.262 and FAR23.562 don’t mention much about “child seats”, the only reference you find is CAT operational rules CAT.IDE.A.205 that Snoopy mentioned earlier, it does not say much about how many G’s those CRD or Straps can take on crashes?

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/25.562

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Jan 14:14
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Very good point from Ibra about the headsets and seats being already familiar to the children.

I’ve not read it yet, but it looks like FAA-AM-78-12 is the aeromedical report on testing child restraints

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

I have seen that one

FAA

There is a similar study by EASA/ICAO one on child seats in CS25 aircraft

EASA/ICAO

Yet there is nothing there about aircraft certification for “crash testing with child seats” by aircraft manufacturers (this is done for cars), I think the main reason in airliners is the one cited by Sebastian_G, they are mostly for turbulence, rejected takeoff and hard landing…a (rare) airliner crash or dynamic landing is game over !

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Jan 14:29

Halleluia, there is a list of aircraft approved child seats :

https://www.tuv.com/landingpage/en/manufacturer-of-child-seats/

Maxi cosi also has a page :

To find out if you have an airline-approved car seat, check to see if it is marked “For Use In Aircraft” or take a look through this list.

Our Pebble, Pebble Plus, Rock, CabrioFix and Citi baby seats are all officially approved to be used on aircraft.

From Britax :

Can I use my car seat on a plane?
The following Britax models have been approved for use on a plane:

BABY-SAFE
BABY-SAFE plus
BABY-SAFE plus II
BABY-SAFE plus SHR II
TÜV ID number 9811400300 (ECE approval no. 03301146 or 04301146)

Suitable for children up to 13kg, or until the head extends over the edge of the infant carrier. The label certifying suitability for airline use can be found on the car seat.

ECLIPSE
TÜV ID number 0000028802 (ECE approval no. 040149)

Suitable for children from 9 to18 kg.
This model is approved for airline use subject to airline regulations. Accessory Kits is necessary and available from your dealer.

Most of these are up to 13kg, some are outdated.
If you have references for 9-18kg range, I am interested.

LFOU, France

I think that just means airline cabin luggage approved.

For GA, you can use anything. There is no approval system for GA cabin use. Like there is no approval framework for portable oxygen systems.

13kg is massive. I am sure that when my two were pint-sized they didn’t have anything like that. More like 3kg

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

For GA, you can use anything. There is no approval system for GA cabin use. Like there is no approval framework for portable oxygen systems.

There is an approval but it’s moot as only those approved for cars are sold in the market…

CCA AMC NCO140

CAA NCO 140

I have not heard anyone making their own “wooden vegan baby seats” to use in cars

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 Mar 11:31

Peter wrote:

I think that just means airline cabin luggage approved.

The web page states that they “are approved to be used on board of aircraft.”

Let’s not mince words. The AMC to NCO.IDE.A.140 lists conditions for a child seat to be acceptable with reference to various standards of which the German TüV standard is one. Certainly TüV provides an “approval system.”

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 22 Mar 11:35
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Highly doubtful jurisdiction (a removable item, etc) but it won’t stop the regulators drawing up some, ahem, regulation. That’s what they are paid > 50k for.

A pity that great video of somebody in Brussels going under the name of Seebohm is no longer online. He said there are areas with no regulation, which is unacceptable and they must create some.

Administrator

So my understanding is :

• from 0 to 13kg, you have plenty of car seats certified for airplane use.
  • beyond 24 months, you have no requirement to use a child seat. Which is nonsense. In France, kids up to age 10 must have a certified restraint system
  • between 13 kg and 24 months, I can’t see any option

I am not keen on buying a 0-13kg seat because our son will soon exceed its range.
I may wait until age 2 and use whatever belted car seat then.

LFOU, France

Sorry; I thought 13kg was the weight of the seat

Administrator
Sign in to add your message