Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Child Seats in Aircraft

Jujupilote wrote:

Apparently, the regional DGAC office raised an issue during an aeroclub audit about child seats used on the front passenger seat.
In the rule quoted above (NCO.IDE.140), I don’t see such a rule. Did I miss something ?

If it was a four-seater aircraft then the following passage from the AMC may apply: “An infant/child in a CRD should not hinder evacuation for any passenger.”

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Apparently, the regional DGAC office raised an issue during an aeroclub audit about child seats used on the front passenger seat.
In the rule quoted above (NCO.IDE.140), I don’t see such a rule. Did I miss something ?
What gives for a 2-seater ?

LFOU, France

I think i’m lucky with the Techam P2010 as it has a car style 3-point harness on the back seats so i just used our car’s child seat on my son’s first flight.
It’s a standard level 1-2-3 car seat but because he is just below the limit to use as level-2, i have to secure the car seat with the seatbelt ans my son with the belts from the seat itself.
This was a bit of a struggle as the seatbelt of the airplane is a bit shorter than the car’s but i made it work.
My son needs to gain 1kg, then we can just use the airplanes seatbelt to secure him in the carseat.

EBZW, Belgium

Changing the subject slightly, I used to fly a certified type with an added DIY shoulder harness anchored in the wooden spar. I personally thought it was less safe, but was in the minority.

Depends how it was anchored? no issues with TC as long as it can be removed and installed on each flight without compromising the structure I used to lock child seats with 200kN belt and harness on DA40 backseats

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 May 13:37
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Jujupilote wrote:

The little passenger seemed to like it

Excellent good news

Airborne_Again wrote:

Do they really?

You’re right. Well spotted This page specifically says the 3 point STC is for front seats.

Changing the subject slightly, I used to fly a certified type with an added DIY shoulder harness anchored in the wooden spar. I personally thought it was less safe, but was in the minority.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

If it helps Dublinpilot, Alpha Aviation have an STC to add 3 point seatbelts to many types, including PA28 back seats: $575 for fixed straps or $675 for inertia reel (per seat).

I guess that would work on EASA/CAA reg as well with CS153? AFAIK, FAA rules allow these under minor change when attachements are bolted or clamped to an existing structure rather than welded to piece of the airframe (major change)

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 May 13:05
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Tried yesterday the Britax Romer Eclipse (bought used for 25€) in a DR400.
The little passenger seemed to like it

LFOU, France

Capitaine wrote:

If it helps Dublinpilot, Alpha Aviation have an STC to add 3 point seatbelts to many types, including PA28 back seats:

Do they really? The page you link to suggests that the STC is only for aircraft that already have factory installed shoulder harnesses.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

lionel wrote:

some approved and authorised child car seats test worse than plain seat belts

Thanks Lionel, this was really interesting. Since the time of that lecture, I would say Isofix or LATCH seats are safer in cars than the type tested. Doesn’t help us in our non-isofix aeroplanes though

As a datapoint, we don’t use car seats in the plane any more (youngest is 3.5), but they do have 3 point seatbelts.

If it helps Dublinpilot, Alpha Aviation have an STC to add 3 point seatbelts to many types, including PA28 back seats: $575 for fixed straps or $675 for inertia reel (per seat).

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Britax Eclipse is on second hand sites for 50€. I think I will go that way.
Thanks to all.

LFOU, France
65 Posts
Sign in to add your message