Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Crap Landings

His comment after the "landing" was: "Every landing you walk away from is a good landing." Had I had a gun at that moment, he wouldn't be alive.

If you had had a gun, that would have turned the landing into a bad one according to his definition.

KUZA, United States

Use of the ailerons is a lost art.

KUZA, United States

Achima,

i seem to have a similar problem. I find it harder to really NAIL the indicated airspeed in the SR22 than in my Warrior! In the Warrior I can always trim it to 70 +/- 1 max 2 knots and I am able to always touch down at the same speed (63... or 55 on shorter fields). Not so in the SR22. Maybe it has to do with the fact that the airplane is so "slick" and maybe the glasscockpit (speed stripe vs analog ASI) has a part in it ... but I have to concentrate much more to arrive over the numbers at exactly the right speed.

I have already managed to land it on a 1800 ft grass strip without any problems but i am still not able to reproduce the VERY good landings (that i occasiionally do make!)

By the way: I haven't flown the 182RG but i did my complete IFR in a 172RG and I always thought that it's a very nice airplane to land.

We just had a bad landing at our private field. A chap who used to own a weight shift microlight moved to a 3 axis and when a crosswind caught him on short final "instinct" took over and he corrected the "wrong" way. bent prop and shock load needed appears to be the only damage. To return to the ASI, I have to ask those who try to "nail" the airspeed, what happens when the ASI fails? You still gonna have to land and unless you are in tune with your airplane it will be difficult.

UK, United Kingdom

Talking about x-wind landings, I prefer the crab technique, and so de-crab over the runway while putting aileron in. Others seem to prefer doing the approach wing-low and aligned with the runway. The reason why I do not prefer the latter is that you need to re-align aileron and rudder anyway when you get close to the ground because the wind will decrease. Plus in the approach you need to be careful not to sink too much or lose to much airspeed due to the increased drag. But maybe it is just that I was taught the crab method in the beginning that created my bias..

How about the rest of you? Any 'objective' pro's/con's? I'd like to educate myself a bit more on this so that I can give students the complete picture..

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Teach the student both and then let them decide which they are more comfortable to fly. That to me would give the student the complete picture. I was taught the crab and only came to the wing down later in my flying and I just prefer it. In truth I fly a combination. Start the approach in the crab and move into the wing down. In flying there are many ways to skin a cat. Too many pilots I come across seem to think if they are taught to do something one way then that is the only way to do it. I give a small example:- I was coming back from Holland in an Archer on a shared flight and I was pilot flying. I had a power setting of 2400rpm. Non flying pilot starts berating me in the air for flying an incorrect power setting. I asked him if he has read the POH? No he said, so I asked him then on what does he base his argument? Well he said, his instructor always said that he should fly at 2300rpm and in the flight schools "checklist" it said to fly at 2300rpm. I said, yes that is fine if you wish to fly a local flight or do circuits or take your time getting somewhere BUT if you read the POH, you will find there is a whole range of settings you can fly at. Some good came out of it, he read the POH.

Picking up on Fenland Flyers point. I do think some pilots do get fixated on the ASI. I fly a profile with quick flicks to the AIS to confirm things are ok. It has held me in good stead as in the case when I got handed the aircraft on short finals and did the landing from right seat. ASI was not easily readable from where I was sat. Its what I love about flying, the thinking out of the box to solve problems or to try things another way. A lot of pilots seem to try compartmentalise things and I think the danger of this is that when the proverbial does hit the fan, their minds are already closed to possible solutions that could fix the problem with a safe outcome.

Always looking for adventure
Shoreham

I go for the crossed controls (side slip) type method, though usually combined with an early or late turn onto finals depending on where the wind is coming from. The disadvantage is that doing a side slip type approach means that you might lose height quicker, though the advantage is that all the way to touchdown you are heading in a straight line.

With regard to crap landings, especially while training, if I was doing a land away / x-country my mind was so focussed and excited on what I had done or learnt, everything would go out of the window when it came to performing a really good landing. And I will be honest, even after flying for 8 years, from a grass runway, I still very occasionally on large tarmac runways seem unable to land on the dotted line. I think my mind-set is to land between two parallels and in the early days seemed to want to take me to either the left half or the right half of the runway. Bit strange really!

I think you are experiencing what NCYankee was alluding to with respect to the pA28 nose steering...with say a right x-wind you need left rudder to straighten out...but once the nose wheel is down that will steer you left....on a grass runway the wheel probably just slides a bit but on Tarmac you leave the centerline....so the trick is to keep the into wind aileron but relax the rudder as soon as the nose is down

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Great video. Thanks for sharing!

A few years ago, after 3 months of landing the Jetprop on large commercial runways with nervous passengers I forgot how to land on short ones.

The trouble was I only found out landing deep into an 800 meter runway, and locking up the brakes to the extent I wore an impressive flat spot on the LHS MLG.

I was pretty shaken and could not understand what I had done wrong. Once circuit later with an instructor and he simply said, “speed control”. I had forgotten to adjust the approach speed for the short landings and to compound the problem was subconsciously padding up the speed to achieve those greasers on the longer runways to keep my passengers happy.

Lesson learnt.

Regarding x-wind landings in a PA46; I have found that you really have no choice but to use the cross-control/slip technique from about 50ft up. Crabbing in anything over 10kts with such a long laminar wing rarely works out well for me even though I prefer it.

E

eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD

with say a right x-wind you need left rudder to straighten out...but once the nose wheel is down that will steer you left

The same must happen on any plane with a nosewheel plus rudder linkage. Why don't I have a problem on the TB20?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message