Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

French pilots landing at a Port of Entry French airport need > 6 month ID card / passport validity

The PIC was wearing hi-viz jacket already

Maybe that was the problem…

I would expect that France grants all citizens a ‘right of abode’ (‘droit de séjour’), but a quick search didn’t find anything in their constitution. Normally such a right does not have any requirements regarding expiry dates of ID documents. All the instances of such requirements that I have seen relate to foreigners entering a country, for example, the stories about British tourists being denied entry into Spain.

Have there really been cases of French citizens being denied entry into France because their ID card or passport had less than six months left until expiry?

Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)

I do not know of any French citizen being refused right of entry into France when their passport or identity card has less than 6 months to go. A French citizen will not even be refused entry if they arrive in France without a passport or identity card, although you might be detained while the police investigate your right of entry.
I do notice that often these automatic passport checking machines fail to work and someone has to help you to a manned checkpoint.
Happened to me last week.

Last Edited by gallois at 10 Oct 11:39
France

derek wrote:

I would expect that France grants all citizens a ‘right of abode’ (‘droit de séjour’), but a quick search didn’t find anything in their constitution.

It is part of “human rights”, which France prides itself on having invented, and which technically are nowadays applicable in France’s legal hierarchy above the constitutional level by the (signed & ratified by France) European Convention on Human Rights, in its Protocol 4 (article 3, paragraph 2 of the Protocol).

Last Edited by lionel at 10 Oct 11:39
ELLX

Have there really been cases of French citizens being denied entry into France because their ID card or passport had less than six months left until expiry?

I really doubt it, just say “I want to go home” you may not be allowed to enter airside of an international airport to visit duty free shop or board your aircraft (which is the main topic here)

Last Edited by Ibra at 10 Oct 11:46
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

On what grounds would French police block a French passport or ID card holder getting to his aircraft, assuming he is entirely domestic traffic?

I realise, on most/all of European mainland, they can demand your ID card, but once they have seen it, what can they do to detain you?

Or is there a law blocking airside access unless you have an ID meeting some additional conditions?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Depends on the airport. At an international airport eg Limoges, security might ask to see your pilot’s licence in order to get back to your plane. But unless you’ve got a jobsworth if its in the plane they let you through and don’t bother to accompany you.
It’s difficult to comment on this as it’s never happened to me. The only times I have had an ID check, other than when I have expected it, over the last 20 years, I can count on the fingers of one hand.
I have only 3rd hand knowledge of a 6 month problem from Brit friends who told me the thing that I posted about before. And I still don’t understand why its not 6 months from the expiry date but from some validity date. Or who made this rule. IiUC it is airlines like Ryan Air and Squeezy Jet refusing passengers.

France

airlines like Ryan Air and Squeezy Jet refusing passengers.

I am planning to ask next time going to Orly if expiry > 6 months is required for airlines when flying domestically? and if one can travel using their “driving licence” on say Paris-Nice?

Last Edited by Ibra at 10 Oct 13:54
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Last week I had to show my ID along with my boarding pass, to the attendant on the gate to board a plane from CdG to Nantes. But that’s normal and I have more than 6 months on my ID, so that wasn’t tested. I’m not sure you can use a driving licence.

France

lionel wrote:

European Convention on Human Rights, in its Protocol 4 (article 3, paragraph 2 of the Protocol).

Thanks lionel. That should mean the same applies to the UK as well, as it is (still for now at least) a signatory to the convention.

Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)
Sign in to add your message