Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

En Route IR / CB IR / IMC

The EASA Committee voted on the Qualifications for Flying in IMC proposal (CBM IR, EIR) this morning.

• The proposal was amended to include English Language Proficiency for both IR and EIR.

• The Article 4( 8 ) exemption text intended for the IMC rating was modified to not require ELP.

• In addition, the deadline for converting third country licences was extended by 12 months to April 2015.

The proposal as amended was passed with no votes against. While there is still a legislative step to go (Parliamentary scrutiny), it is now highly likely that they will become law in the first part of next year.

PPL/IR Europe and Europe Air Sports are delighted by the news of this success, and offer their thanks to the UK CAA, EASA, the European Commission, IAOPA-EUR and AOPA UK, all of whom worked hard to make this happen.

I had long suspected that the CAA was waiting until the last minute to pull something out.

Well I wished they hadn't. This should have been sorted out ages ago and regardless of what was happening the IMC should not have been scrapped until the EIR or CB IR came on line.

People are trying to run businesses and all this indecision really doesn't help.

The glide-slope failed recently on the aircraft that we use for IMC training and we had no idea if it was going to be commercially viable to replace it get it repaired. It looks like we can now move forward and get it done.

Great news on third country licences.

EGTK Oxford

So where does this leave the CBM-IR?

Excellent news!!!!

So where does this leave the CBM-IR?

Approved as it's part of the proposal.

I understand the European Parliament has to approve also but this is a much more straightforward approval, we are over the technical hurdle

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Thanks very much Bookworm for the good news.

Well I wished they hadn't. This should have been sorted out ages ago and regardless of what was happening the IMC should not have been scrapped until the EIR or CB IR came on line.

I agree, but this deal could not have been done back in the days before the EU's partial political collapse.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes perhaps my initial post is a little negative. This really is fantastic news and I have to say leaves me a little excited. I can't for life of me see have this can have nothing but a positive effect on GA.

Well done to all those who made this happen.

Great news on third country licences.

Great news for N-reg values!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

While I agree that this is good news, it really doesn't have much impact on N-reg. aircraft specifically. N-regs will continue to have great advantages over EASA-reg. aircraft, even for pilots who are originally EASA-licensed.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message