Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

En Route IR / CB IR / IMC

I know what the Instrument Rating is, but what do EIR and CB IR mean?

SE France

Yes but by delaying dual licensing for n-regs it makes life easier for those flying them.

EGTK Oxford

I know what the Instrument Rating is, but what do EIR and CB IR mean?

The CB IR, formerly called CBM IR, is a replacement for the old JAA IR. The end result is the same ICAO IR but the training route is reduced. For a PPL, it will be a reduced set of exams (used to be 7, full of crap) and a min of 10hrs dual training, plus min 30hrs instrument time which can come from other training or just flying around as PIC on say the UK IMC Rating. CPL holders who want a CPL/IR which can be upgraded to an ATPL later will be able to use the same flight training route but will have to pass the existing 14 ATPL exams.

The EIR is an "enroute IR" which is the CB IR but without privileges to fly instrument approaches, SIDs and STARs. It is somewhat controversial, as one can see, but is best understood as a PPL add-on whereby you can fly like an IR holder in controlled airspace (CAS) when enroute. Not being able to enter CAS enroute (due to usually bizzare local ATC policies which are nothing to do with traffic) is the biggest issue with VFR touring, which is normally best done VMC on top at a decent altitude. The EIR will be a good tool for that but, as with any plain PPL, you will need to be sure of good VFR wx at the two ends. With the EIR, if you arrive above an overcast then you have to declare an emergency to fly the approach - just like you would with a plain PPL. I dont' know how much the theory and training for the EIR will be smaller than for the CB IR and presumably they will be teaching something on approaches!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

To add: CB itself stands for "Competency Based". Which essentially means that the regulators recognize that you have done IR training and flying before, for instance on an FAA IR or UK IMC rating. So they don't force you through the whole ab-initio EASA-IR training program, but instead you get reduced training requirements.

Now that they are approved, from what dates are the CB IR & EIR avaialble?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I have no personal insight other than what I have read, but I have seen somewhere that they expect it to be law in Spring 2014, whenever that is.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Which essentially means that the regulators recognize that you have done IR training and flying before, for instance on an FAA IR or UK IMC rating

Worth a mention that another ICAO IR was always usable as a credit, reducing the 50hrs (SE) minimum dual time of the JAA IR to 15hrs. I did that conversion route in 2011. There was never any "open/legit" way around the JAA IR exams, however... well not unless you followed some "interesting" avenues.

The CB IR will enable the 30hrs to have been done anywhere in the world, in any plane, either as PIC (which implies having been flying on the privileges of another IR, or the UK IMCR) or as an instrument student with an instructor. This means that, for the first time, the IMCR training and instrument flight time can be used as a credit towards the "Euro IR", so the minimum time required to be spent at the FTO is just 10hrs.

That means a lot less money is spent, plus a lot less time has to be spent hanging out in some dump hotel near an FTO which for most pilots is the only option.

A freelance instructor might charge £50/hr so getting good enough to go to the FTO for the 10 mandatory hours is going to be a lot cheaper than doing the whole 50hrs at an FTO.

However IMHO nobody will do it in 10hrs FTO time no matter how good they are - unless they have had very targeted training with a freelance instructor who knows the whole protocol and it is all done in the same plane. Very very few people did the 15hr ICAO IR to JAA IR conversion in the min time of 15hrs for that matter.

they expect it to be law in Spring 2014, whenever that is.

I think so, but we are relying on some FTOs to produce a training package including the computer QBs. Without QBs the exams are a huge amount of work because you have to read reams of material; I would say that e.g. a 70% theory reduction without a QB is more work than the JAA IR 7 exams with a QB.

Administrator

I take your point about the QB but for ICAO IR holders there will be the option to demonstrate knowledge to the examiner.

I doubt any IR holder would pass an IR initial test without preparation. I know I wouldn't; I cannot remember doing an NDB approach for real using only the ADF. Nor a hold without the FMS doing it for me!

However, I don't mind the flying training. I LIKE flying, it's exams I don't like.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

The draft CB IR and EIR training requirements are here

I haven't read it yet.

I don't mind the flying training. I LIKE flying, it's exams I don't like.

I am sure many feel the same way, but it would be better if you could spend say 10hrs getting good at flying ILS and LPV approaches, or whatever, rather than spend 20 or 30 getting just good enough to fly NDB ones and never quite knowing if you are going to be good enough on the day because they are rather haphazard.

Administrator

The CB IR/EIR FCL rules ought to be approved by the EU very soon, but to my understanding it has not happened yet. And then there is the AMC & GM (Approved Means of Compliance & Guidance Material) which is necessary for the new regs to work. The ATOs need them as they describe the syllabus for ground subjects as well as for the flying training and the skill test. I do not think an ATO can even write an application to the CAA without having the AMC & GM.

I think EASA wrote somewhere that they would not start writing the AMC & GM until the Lex EU was there. But there is a draft version somewhere and it may not take long. My guess is that the first CB IR courses will start in 6 to 12 months. But I also thought so 12 months ago.

huv
EKRK, Denmark
Sign in to add your message