Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Requirement for start clearance

Startup clearances are a total mess in Europe, you have to search at whatever possible location comes to your mind (and be prepared to miss from time to time). There is no structure at all and – just read and follow, don’t think about what you find as it might hurt your brain. Legendary things like – untowered ‘INFO’ airfield EDFB requiring start-up clearance if on Z-FPL and thats even written only on the aerodrome chart … don’t know what the clerk was thinking when authorising that document?

Germany

untowered ‘INFO’ airfield EDFB requiring start-up clearance if on Z-FPL and thats even written only on the aerodrome chart

Is that “flight plan startup” not “engine startup”? does that AFIS rely “ATC suggestions” to join controlled airspace and switch VFR/IFR?

There are some VFR airfields and sectors where there is NFW you can get clearance airborne from sector FIS/ATC on your own without using AFIS (unless you plan to switch VFR/IFR in another country ), they also apply the same principal when AFIS is not around, you need to phone call and request “Zulu startup” or “India startup”…as they give you 10min be airborne or phone call again, you better “start up” you engine, taxi and do the checks before you phone call ATC for “startup”

If you depart after 10min or return back to land, SAR will be looking for you

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Feb 21:44
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I don’t know if I am lazy or just seeking a simple life, but I tend to just ask for startup anywhere with AFIS/ATC. Worst case is I am told it’s not necessary and to report ready for taxi. To me this is the better option than NOT asking somewhere where they DO want you to, and making a bad impression from the get go. The only exception is if I have experience of a specific place and know that they don’t require it (and I remember about that!).

United Kingdom

In Canada, the only person who cares when you start your engine, is the person behind the plane. Other than that person, start when you want! Similarly, I’m not aware of anywhere in the US where anyone cares when you start.

We did get fussed in Cairo many decades back while ferrying a Twin Otter through. I started an engine without a start clearance. I explained that that airplane had no avionics power until an engine was running, so to turn on a radio to call for a start clearance, I had to start an engine first. A puzzled ground controller gave up caring, and gave me the clearance.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

I do exactly what Pirho above does

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Is that “flight plan startup” not “engine startup”? does that AFIS rely “ATC suggestions” to join controlled airspace and switch VFR/IFR?

The example is not AFIS, it is a simple INFO/RADIO airfield and the requirement is not even on the VAC, only the aerodrome chart
The Gerrrrrman ‘Flugleiter’ will tell and yell if you do other.
Btw, how binding are these novels at the bottom of the charts anyways?

Last Edited by MichaLSA at 04 Feb 07:40
Germany

The example is not AFIS, it is a simple INFO/RADIO airfield

Aghh, it’s INFO not INFORMATION

Ibra wrote:

Aghh, it’s INFO not INFORMATION

What’s the difference?!
It’s either AFIS or Radio, right?

“I thought you said ‘Isstvan.’ "
“I did! Wait a minute. What did you say?”
“I said Isstvan. Can’t you tell the difference?”
“No,” I admitted.
(c) Asprin, MythAdventures

EGTR

It’s the bastarisation of ATS OCAS beyond TWR, AFIS, FIS and ATC…I had the impression it’s UK specialiality with the 50 shades of grey in services and functions, it seems some airfirlds in Germany are getting into this?

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Feb 10:30

I’m only about now during IR training starting to request startups. I’ve flown to so many airfields and airports before, including intl., and never requested startup.

🤷‍♂️

Germany
Sign in to add your message