Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR VMC, Traffic in sight, what is the minimum separation I have to keep?

Obviously the other positions are in closer proximity

That looks well packed

I was referring to SERA.3135 Formation flights in Controlled Airspace “For other than State aircraft a distance not exceeding 1 km (0,5 nm) laterally and longitudinally and 30 m (100 ft) vertically from the flight leader shall be maintained by each aircraft.”

ATC wanted less than 0.5nm overhead London City airport (wood and fabric, no TXP )

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Apr 09:16
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

My practical answer? Enough distance to: A/ not startle the other traffic, and B/ able to avoid, by a safe margin, said traffic whatever maneuver is initiated by the startled, or not, traffic concerned. Quote

Is the right answer for me. There are many regulations about right of way. Even if you “have the right of way” if the other aircraft has not seen you, you’re still going to have to give the right of way – leave yourself enough room to do that such that even after you have, you’re not going to startle the other pilot when they finally see you.

Formation flying is an entirely different thing. Firstly, it requires (by regulation) agreement between all pilots involved, and ATC, if in controlled airspace. Once that’s in place, it requires an appointed “lead” to be safe.

When I was a very new pilot, a kindly friend allowed me to fly him home in his 172. He napped, I knew where I was going. Perfect day, I was high, and clear of everything. Nope, one of his buddies had seen the plane, and recognized it. He snuck up on me from my 5 O’clock low, and suddenly appeared “right there” on my right side. I pretty well rolled inverted I was so startled. This woke up my friend in the worst way, and I had some explaining to do. Fortunately for me, my description of the Cherokee, and explanation made sense to him. I think there was a “talk” behind the scenes later. It’s just not a nice thing to do to startle another pilot with your airplane.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

since we drifted a bit towards formation flying… Dan, in your awesome RV formation pic, isn’t the standarad echelon formation to be staggered DOWN instead of staggered UP like in your picture? Are there exceptions to this “rule”?

Switzerland

Credit where it is due, I did not take that picture, but IIRC the pax of another RV-8, whilst participating in the last formation clinic out of Trento LIDT.
And your observation is absolutely correct, it is not a standard echelon formation, but rather an echelonised photo formation

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Pilot_DAR wrote:

It’s just not a nice thing to do to startle another pilot with your airplane.

I agree. I have had this happen to me a couple of times – once in a cherokee, and once in my RV-8 The cherokee flight it was a P210 climbing right into my belly. I had traffic info and knew he was there, but had no idea if he saw me. I couldn’t decide if I should move right or left or just stay still. Really uncomfortable.

Another time was in my RV smoking along at a pretty good clip (170 KTAS or so), and someone’s coming up behind me very fast. I’m in a military area but didn’t hear anyone on the frequency. Figured it was a kid in a PC-7 or PC-21, so I started getting nervous, since they are probably focused on their mission, not looking for traffic. Didn’t realize that they had ADSB-out. Turns out it was a local guy in a TBM having a laugh – again, I didn’t know which way to fly to avoid him. I figured if I held course and the other guy hit me, at least the crash report wouldn’t paint me as a complete idiot.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

“ Figured it was a kid in a PC-7 or PC-21, so I started getting nervous, since they are probably focused on their mission, not looking for traffic”

Do you have a smoke system in the RV8?
Maybe a good situation to activate it, for safety?

Switzerland

I don’t think there is any legally binding distance limit between two aircraft
Some time ago I was to fly to a distant airport, meet a friend and fly with him a two ship formation to join a party somewhere else. As my departure got delayed, texted him to take off and fly as planned. His aircraft is somewhat slower than mine therefore we agreed I would catch up with him the air. Both planes are Mode S equipped. As soon as I crossed the FIS sector where we ware supposed to meet I asked the controller if he was in radar contact with XYZ. Response was affirmative therefore I asked if he would be so kind and give me vectors to intercept “the bogey”, explained myself why I wanted to do that. FIS operator confirmed with my friend he didn’t bother being intercepted and I got the requested vector(s). The only thing FIS cared about once we go really close was that I got visual ID on the other guy and that we keep our own separation.

Poland

Ibra wrote:

ATC wanted less than 0.5nm overhead London City airport (wood and fabric, no TXP )

picture of the year

@Ibra, any chance to share a higher quality version of the photo pls?

Poland

Sadly only phone quality

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Great picture! That looks almost certain to be a Turbulent – right? I know because I am building one :-)

Were you the pilot? Is it your Turbulent?

Peter

LERM, Spain
Sign in to add your message