Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flightplan expired after DEP: What does it mean

They don’t receive the arrival message for flights which land across the border

That is totally amazing.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Clipperstorch wrote:

Called them up: It is a system limitation. They don’t receive the arrival message for flights which land across the border. The system then simply archives the flight plan after a few hours.

That’s a bit silly, but it doesn’t matter from a SAR perspective. The responsibility for activating SAR if you are overdue rests on Salzburg ATC and not on the German AIS.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Interesting, there are some differences nationally. In Switzerland a flight plan from an untowered field becomes active automatically, without any communication other than the flight plan itself. That’s why we have hundreds of false alarms per year (I read ca. 650/year), because pilots think they could just let it expire without managing it. I always thought this automatic flight plan activation was odd. On the other hand, a flight plan should always be proactively managed and then it wouldn’t be an issue anyways.

Same in Germany.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 15 Oct 06:00
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

In Switzerland a flight plan from an untowered field becomes active automatically

Interesting. Does that mean that once a FP (presuming VFR i.e. “V” here?) is filed, the ATC system auto-generates a DEP at the filed EOBT plus something, IF the departure AD is not on some database of towered ADs?

I still find

They don’t receive the arrival message for flights which land across the border

quite amazing. How many countries have that? Basically this means that if you depart in Country X, the ATS system of X has no idea what happens to you after you left their borders, and in particular where you landed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

quite amazing. How many countries have that? Basically this means that if you depart in Country X, the ATS system of X has no idea what happens to you after you left their borders, and in particular where you landed.

I find that quite reasonable. Why would the ATS system of country X care what happens to you? All responsibilities, both for ATC, FIS and SAR rests with the country you’ve entered.

The only thing I can think of that matters is for AIS of the country of departure to provide item 19 of the flight plan in case of SAR action, but that is in any case done only on request.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message