Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Miami: Recommendation for flight school / rental shop?

I will be in Miami in late November and am hoping to get to fly there. Either planning for the flight review to be able for rent on my own, or „just“ some scenic flying with an instructor onboard (I have the 61.75 piggy back, VFR-only).

A dear fellow pilot recommended a school in the Tampa area, but it materialized I will be „based“ in Miami this time.

Airport-wise I thought of Miami Executive KTMB; are there recommendations for another airfield instead for whatever reason, or would that be the airport of choice out of Miami? Coming from Miami Brickell, it would be around 45min to drive.

Has anyone a more or less recent recommendation for a flight school or rental shop in Miami which offers one of the usual suspects to rent: P28A, C172, …?

Specifically, Google revealed „Aviator Zone Academy“, has anyone heard of them?

Thank you!

Marcel

Last Edited by Marcel at 20 Oct 21:03
LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

Just checked my logbooks, but my last visit (and TOBA rental) at KTMB, or Tamiami as it was called, dates OMG March 97… last century
So forget this very post, and enjoy your time there

PS
KTMB sure was the GA field around there, and flying the Keys a memorable experience.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

No specific experience of schools there, but give each of the potential places a call. I found that many schools want absurd minimum “checkout” periods of 6 or 8 hours when I was trying to rent in the states. Eventually I found a place with no such requirement and the checkout consisted of 2 circuits.

United Kingdom

Thank you for your feedback so far! It is quite interesting… Some shops do not rent out at all and use their planes exclusively for training, others rent out but only during their business hours which means you need to be back by their closing, others want 5h minimum per day. So, doing research is key…..

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

I’ve managed to do a flight last year in Miami, I can find the details about it. When I was trying to find out what could be done, I found almost only ‘flight schools’ selling full packages and almost no possibilities to do only a couple of flight for the fun of it… Actually, the instructor I ended up flying with was surprised that I was not doing some sort of hour building or training towards some sort of rating so obviously they are mostly flying with aspiring professional pilots.

ENVA, Norway
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message