Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft, this week-end? (25-26 November 2023)

spent the better part of 6 hours (!) freeing the pins out of their 2 respective sockets using the typical sub-d connector removal tool

Crimping and such

When I am making up some harness on the bench I use high grade solder bucket connectors, solder them, and heatshrink over the pins. With proper stress relief on the cable, this is really good and less hassle than crimping where the pins can cost a fortune.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes Peter, just following Garmin’s recommended practices
OTOH crimping sure is easier than soldering… it’s just the unpinning that’s is a major thing…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Another reason I prefer soldering is that crimp pins are all different and have to match the connector body by vendor P/N exactly. You can’t mix them and if you have to change a pin years later you probably can’t get another one (unless it is a Positronic super-pricey one) so you end up pushing that pin out, soldering a wire to it and pushing it back into the hole. Or leaving the pin in the connector and cutting the wire off and joining onto the wire (with a heatshrunk solder joint).

GA avionics use crimping for good practical reasons, one of which is a near total lack of soldering skill

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

GA avionics use crimping for good practical reasons, one of which is a near total lack of soldering skill

True, but the main reason is that aviation’s (not only GA) avionics are subject to continuous vibrations… rigid solder connections will crack. Flexible crimped ones may, later.
Sub-D, or hi density, whatever vocabulary is used for those pins, are surprisingly standardized. As an example that VM1000 i’m replacing dates back to 2001. The new EMS uses the same pins, which warranted the effort in this very case only, as cutting them off/replacing would have all wires too short. As usual, find the devil is to be found in the detail

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Some more RV fun this weekend.

G-LILB is a Lindy award winning RV3, with exceptional build quality throughout.

United Kingdom

@Emir, your own bird is way more sophisticated than this contraption… back to the future?

yes… sweating in this microwave while we have beautiful weather outside but I’m flying home today.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Nice shots of yet another group of renegades @IO390. Good boys all with their flaps up

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

I think that’s the first time I’ve seen two RV-3s belonging to the same owner together in an air-air photo shoot

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

RV-3s are cool… A hangar neighbor here has one of those and an RV-6 to cover all his flying needs. He built both of them twenty years apart. Mostly he flies the RV-3 because of its incredible performance on 150 HP (2500 fpm climb with CS prop IIRC) but the RV-6 with its new panel is pulled out for passenger flying and once a year to Oshkosh. His wife recently bought a C182 but so far he has sworn it off, it’s “her plane”

Last Edited by Silvaire at 26 Nov 15:57

My son recently received an Airfix kit of a Mk.1a Spitfire for his fourth birthday (“not suitable for children under 8 years of age”).

Today was RA OVC001 so we built it with a bit of help from my daughter. It went surprisingly well, with them identifying which parts to cut out, then putting glue on the surfaces. The cockpit section was very fiddly to put together, but we got there in the end. They did the bulk of the painting, and I just tidied up the edges and did the fiddly bits like the transfers.

I don’t think we’ll start an RV just yet

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message