Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Straight-in IFR joins prohibited in The Netherlands if uncontrolled?

Well, in theory, if something is written in a SARP (Standards And Recommended Practices, e.g. Annex 2) and it is a Standard then it is ICAO law and every country that wants to differ (and the difference is important and has to do with flight safety – for other differences read at the end) from that has to publish the difference (e.g. as a supplement to that Annex).

If there is a difference in a Recommended Practice the country does not have to publish the difference, but is encouraged.
If something is written in a PANS (Procedures for Air Navigation Services, e.g. Doc 4444 aka “the Bible”) then, if a country wants to differ, it is encouraged to publish it, but again does not have to.

Every difference that has been published must also be contained in the GEN part of the country’s AIP (GEN 1.7).

But there may be other differences as well which are not that important to the safety of the flight and will be normally written in other places of the AIP and not included anywhere else (see Doc 8168 5.8).

LGMT (Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece), Greece

Here in the US, the only regulatory requirement is the direction of turn while in the pattern found in 91.126. If one uses a 45 degree entry to the pattern, the opposite direction turn required to turn downwind is not considered a turn within the pattern, but rather a turn to get into the pattern. A straight in requires no turns, so it doesn’t apply. There is guidance provided to the pilot on entering and flying the pattern at a non towered airport, however these documents are not regulatory. The AIM along with all AC advisory documents have the following statement in them:

> This publication, while not regulatory, provides information which reflects examples of operating techniques and procedures which may be requirements in other federal publications or regulations.

KUZA, United States

So I just found this Dutch law where it actually is required by law to enter the circuit only one way and not at e.g. base of direct to final. There is even a penalty for it.

Law in Dutch: http://wetten.overheid.nl/BWBR0006175/geldigheidsdatum_22-09-2012#Artikel7

Now the AIP mentions VFR straight-in procedures.

Then we might have EASA rules.

It is starting to be confusing for me.

EDLE, Netherlands

My experience at Lelystad is that if traffic permits I will be allowed a straight in. I also understood – but could be totally wrong – that the “controller” dictates what happens within the confines of an ATZ so it is really at the discretion of the airport.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

>Flying the Final leg is arguably “following the circuit”….it can’t possibly mean you need to fly all 4 legs

Following all 4 legs? Explain, please :-)

A traffic pattern is typcially entered downwind/right downwind. But depending on the position most german airfields let you enter the patter base/right base – or tell you to report a 5, 3, 2 or whatever final

There is no formal controller at Lelystad as the airport is not a controlled airport. However, Dutch law specifies that you MUST enter the circuit as specified in the law except if at a specific airport the circuit is defined another way. Now I know that I can request a straight in, but there seems no legal basis for it in the Netherlands. I do it all the time, and have no problem doing it and will continue to do so, but still it is strange that in Dutch law it is explicitly forbidden to do a straight in or baseleg approach or to enter the circuit at other entry points.

EDLE, Netherlands

Which is why I put the word controller in quotes – let’s make that radio operator instead. My understanding is that he has authority over what happens in the ATZ so if he says normal circuit, then a normal circuit it is – unless there are pressing extenuating circumstances.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Peter Mundy: I understand, but I don’t think there is any authority with the ‘havendienst’ as his only role is to inform and he is not allowed to give instructions, except when the aircraft is on the (his) ground.

EDLE, Netherlands

Coming straight in to a non-towered airfield is considered idiotic over here. And there’s a reason for that. It’s legal but what’s the point – saving a few minutes? Gimme a break! I understand medevac urgency but that’s about it. Who flies GA to save money anyways?

I’ve seen everything from ultralights to DC-6 and Citations in the circuit on my home field. I’ve also seen someone taking off against active traffic. Happy coming direct in with that!

EFHF

Toni, why is it idiotic? It is the most straightforward way in (often). Of course you can join a circuit. But unless there is a need to what is the point?

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message