Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Straight-in IFR joins prohibited in The Netherlands if uncontrolled?

As a somewhat tangential comment – here in the UK nobody can control a flight in Class G (that statement is true everywhere, per ICAO, regardless of occasional “controller” pretensions or pilot expectations to the contrary) but at an airfield with ATC the controller does have control over traffic within the ATZ (approx 2.5nm radius and SFC-2000ft).

So, in the UK, if the circuit pattern is contained wholly within the ATZ (which it should be, generally, notwithstanding many pilots at say Shoreham flying circuits halfway to France ) it is possible for ATC to prohibit a particular type of join.

But the other two grades of a “controller” (A/G Radio, or FISO) cannot do that. You can join any way you like. There can be of course be repercussions after you land if you piss off a “pretend controller” who happens to own the place so one would not normally openly disregard his “instructions”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The Dutch rule sounds much like UK Rule 12

• Flight in the vicinity of an aerodrome**
    12 (1) Subject to paragraph (2), a flying machine, glider or airship flying in the vicinity of what
    the commander of the aircraft knows, or ought reasonably to know, to be an
    aerodrome shall:

(a) conform to the pattern of traffic formed by other aircraft intending to land at that
aerodrome or keep clear of the airspace in which the pattern is formed; and

(b) make all turns to the left unless ground signals otherwise indicate.
(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply if the air traffic control unit at that aerodrome otherwise
authorises.

Nothing in either prohibits straight in approaches

Tumbleweed: looks indeed like a similar law.

EDLE, Netherlands

> The Dutch rule sounds much like UK Rule 12

I don’t agree. The Dutch rule is much more specific, if I understand Art 3 correctly (i.e. if Google translate is good enough!). It tells you how you must leave and join the circuit.

The UK Rule is not very different from the SERA equivalent, and is not specific about how the aircraft leaves or joins the circuit.

SERA.3225 Operation on and in the vicinity of an aerodrome

An aircraft operated on or in the vicinity of an aerodrome shall:

(a) observe other aerodrome traffic for the purpose of avoiding collision;

(b) conform with or avoid the pattern of traffic formed by other aircraft in operation;

(c) except for balloons, make all turns to the left, when approaching for a landing and after taking off, unless otherwise indicated, or instructed by ATC;

Why don’t balloons have to make left turns?? :-)

Interesting – I always considered AIP the law. But I guess if that was so, it would be law, not AIP.

A few years ago, a poor pilot landed at a public grass field that was closed. He had not read his NOTAM, and he also flew a straight-in approach, for which he was critizised in the report (no, no accident, but still a report), because had he flown a full circuit he would have seen the big “X”.

At the RF we teach full circuits and never to land straight in at unmanned airfields. I still think it is a good idea generally, but do not have strong feelings about it. I guess I just feel comfortable checking the wind sock and the signal square before landing. But with low traffic and a sensible person on the field to answer the VHF I would prefer to land as direct as possible. Or it could be a lone pilot doing circuits telling the wind and his whereabouts.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

If the AIP is inconsistent with the national law it should be addressed to the NSA.
AIS and NSA should work in close cooperation…
To my understanding you could inform LVNL on this issue (so they can ask the regulator) and ask for clarifications…

EBST

> If the AIP is inconsistent with the national law it should be addressed to the NSA. AIS and NSA should work in close cooperation… To my understanding you could inform LVNL on this issue (so they can ask the regulator) and ask for clarifications…

Am I alone in having no idea what the above means?

EGTK Oxford

The AIP’s are made by the AIS it’s a department of an ANSP (Air Navigation Service Provider) e.g DFS, LVNL, Belgocontrol etc….

The NSA (National Supervisory Authority)= CAA = State Legistlation

Hope this helps..;-))and No I am not referring to Mr Snowden his previous activities..;-))

check it out here:(http://ec.europa.eu/transport/modes/air/single_european_sky/national_supervisory_en.htm

EBST

Just come across this thread from years ago. France is not the only country with this, but surprisingly nobody spotted it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
40 Posts
Sign in to add your message