Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How many pilots fly with what types of approach plates?

JeppFD and JeppFD VFR on iPad and print destination and sometimes alternate.

Norman
United Kingdom

gCap plates printed for destination and alternate with the PDF version of all plates on iPad Mini… I am also lobbying Tim at SkyDemon to incorporate the gCap plates into the product, which would be excellent.

EGBP, United Kingdom

I use ForeFlight on an iPad here in the US. The approach charts can be individually displayed or overlayed on the map. Overlaying them on the map is very nice as one can control the transparency of the approach chart and see the connections to the enroute system. They also support georeferencing the charts so you can follow “own ship” on the approach chart plan view. I will often print Jeppesen charts and carry them for a paper backup for my departure, destination and alternate.

KUZA, United States

AIP and paper. One day when I am all big and grown up I will buy a twin comm and a tablet to work the plates. In the mean time, my 7" tablet with it’s cracked screen seems to work ok for A-B flying, steam gauges and paper plates for the let down.

Always looking for adventure
Shoreham

Jepp charts on MFD. Plus Jepp charts on iPad mini.

EGTK Oxford

AIP plates through Skydemon on Nexus 7 (2) + paper AIP backup and some Jepp if I can find them cheap..

EBST

Jeppesen. Paper from 1989 to this summer, iPad thereafter.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Printed gCap plates and national AIP plates available on SkyDemon.

Jeppesen. I print the approach plates for the airports I plan as DES or ALT. Have the STAR/SID etc on the iPad, but punch them into the FMS when I get the clearance. iPad for unforeseen ALTs, I guess. Don’t use the ChartView on the MFD, so far. Seems to be just one too many screens for the DA42 to handle, and the paper/iPad solution works fine for that. Have the Garmin airport charts on the MFD, so use that for taxiing.

ESSE

Jeppesen. Paper from 1989 to this summer, iPad thereafter.

I believe yours is an AOC operation, what next. Don’t they mandate two Ipads, identically configured? AFAIK all the airline cases of Ipads require two of them, and the pilots aren’t supposed to “play” with them privately.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message