Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How many pilots fly with what types of approach plates?

Jeppesen on Garmin 795 and iPad with printed destination and alternate as backup

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Good feedback everyone; thank you. However I am not getting any data on how people create and maintain the backups. This has a bearing on some things I want to ask Jepp about.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, what do you mean?

EGTK Oxford

QuoteI believe yours is an AOC operation, what next. Don’t they mandate two Ipads, identically configured?

Either two iPads, or a fixed installation (e.g. Proline 21) and an iPad as backup.
Regarding “playing around”: We added a chapter to our operating manual regarding the iPads as EFBs that we wrote ourself (I did, basically) and got approval from our authority for it. It does not talk about off-cockpit use of the iPads, so playing around with it in the hotel room or in a crew lounge is not forbidden. However, only the EFB manager has the password for the Apple Store so crews can not install their own apps. They can use the Internet browser and the Apps installed by the company.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Use Navtech/Aerad at work and Jepp on iPad Mini for pleasure. AIP backup on phone. Will print out Jepp plates before trip for adep/ades and alt if expecting to use them.

United Kingdom

AIP Plates.

In “paperless mode”, on an Android tablet. Backup is a x86_64 tablet running Linux.

LSZK, Switzerland

Jepp updates via subscriptions – JeppView for PC/iPad and E-reader for Garmin. Updates delivered via web

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Jepp MobileFD on iPad and printed paper backup + procedures on my Garmin 530W

United Kingdom

I forgot the procedures on GNS530 – I regularly update NAV card and use the procedures: SID and STAR (when required) and approach as a guide and additional aid.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I don’t think procedures displayed on a GNS box count, unless it is a GPS/RNAV approach

And even then you get a lateral picture but no vertical picture.

OK for an emergency but one could not call it a “terminal chart” IMHO.

Also I am not sure if the lateral picture is 100% complete for all European navaid-based approaches (I don’t have a GNS box). I do know that historically a lot of stuff was missing. For example an ILS approach might in some cases be shown as only the line from the FAF to the MAP, so you did not have the outbound portion of a procedural (standard) approach.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message