Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA IFR Currency - exact requirements for the 6/6 IR rolling currency (merged)

172driver wrote:

You can log it as ‘actual’ if ANY part of the approach is in IMC.

I’m surely misunderstanding, but I read this as “as long as you fly through any cloud, the whole approach is considered to be done in IMC (actual)”. Can you please clarify? If above is true, then does it apply to approaches only, or the whole flight?

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Yes, as far as it applies to an approach. Does not apply to an entire flight. In both cases you would log the actual time you were in IMC.

Small point, IMC (Instrument Meteorological Conditions) does not equal “actual instrument conditions”. IMC can be fully visual and never enter a cloud if the cloud separation or visibility requirement is less than that specified in 91.155. Part of the procedure must have been conducted under “actual instrument conditions” for the approach to be counted, IOW in a cloud or where you can’t use outside visual means to control the aircraft.

KUZA, United States

That’s a very fine point, @NCYankee, but correct.

The basis for that is the LOI to Joseph P Carr, 7 Nov 1984, from John H Cassady, Assistant Chief Counsel, Regulations and Enforcement Division (link).

London, United Kingdom

172driver wrote:

That’s a very fine point, @NCYankee, but correct.

As I think I have said before, all eight combinations of IFR/VFR, IMC/VMC, visual/actual instrument conditions are possible!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I have been logging these for 6/6 purposes only if there was IMC at the FAF, which is basically the requirement.

In flying, you need to cover your 6 o’clock, and the FAF is visible at most airports from the cafe

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

which is basically the requirement.

Nope, it isn’t.

172, FAF in actual conditions to count th le approach was also my information. Where do you found information stating otherwise?

Germany

BerlinFlyer wrote:

Where do you found information stating otherwise?

CFIs and DPEs. Where is yours from?

Sign in to add your message