Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Where to practice night landings and IFR currency in Europe?

I’m headed on my way to fly around the world in a few weeks in my DA42NG (leaving from Puerto Rico). One of my concerns is keeping current. Specifically:

- night currency (FAA requires 3 night landings every 90 days)
- IFR currency (FAA requires 6 approaches every 180 days)

I know things are more difficult in Europe (not all airports open 24/7, charges for IFR approaches), so I was wondering – where is the best place to accomplish these currencies?

Don‘t think this will be any problem. On RTWs, one almost exclusively flies to big airports, so they will all have instrument approaches. Almost no airport charges extra for genuine single instrument approaches on
IFR flights, so you will get a lot of them into your logbook.

Also, if you are flying eastbound in particular, you will often be doing night landings at the end of the day (and night takeoffs at the start of the day) so no risk of dropping out of night currency (which not required for solo flights anyway).

Lots of things to worry about for your flight I guess, but this one is not amongst them.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I am not aware of any difficulties of getting night flying in Europe? in UK, it’s tough though but sunset is very late in few weeks, in Spain, nighy it may comes with “100€ night marshalling fee and follow me aircraft” (in addition to handling)

Night is at 2230LT in France now, it’s tough to fly at night unless you really fly very late, this was taxi after night IFR landing last week at 2330LT, we get more worried about finding dinner, taxi and hotel…

If you go north to Norway, you will not even see the sunset or night is barely 1h…

Also are you flying RTW with pax as I don’t see the relevance of 90 days 3 nighy FAA currency?

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Jul 19:49
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Luxembourg pilots often do their night training/currency (if not at Luxembourg airport, but that’s not possible for you, training flights are for based aircraft only) at Chambley LFJY. Uncontrolled with pilot-controlled lights and IFR approaches. Do watch AIP and NOTAMs closely, it is not allowed every night. And do pay attention to (night) VFR traffic in the circuit!

ELLX

Lille LFQQ is very quiet at night and open 24/7. You would make them happy to keep them awake at night.
I am not aware of any noise curfew.

For uncontrolled fields (like Chambley or Le Touquet at night), you should speak French on radio so beware.

LFOU, France

Oxford Airport is open until 22.30.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Cardiff has good opening hours as well, I flew there once at night very late,m you get a poor choice of alternates: Newquay or Oxford (Southend had a heavy night surcharge)

One has to avoid talking about ‘practice & training’ when looking to PPR for night currency flights in UK, usually night circuits are banned or restricted, unless you join a local arrangement (Tuesdays at Elstree, Wednesday & Saturday at Stapleford, Fridays at Blackbushes)

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Jul 10:44

Remember you need the 3 night takeoffs and landings only for night passenger carriage, not for yourself. Also if you have a European IR then you get automatic night passenger carriage privileges regardless of any actual night flying (!), valid in the airspace of the country which issued the IR.

Due to poor airport opening hours, most European pilots lose their night passenger carriage privileges during the summer. I retain mine only because in addition to the US CPL/IR I also have a UK PPL/IR.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You only need 1 by night takeoff & landing on FCL PPL (not 3 by night landings, 2 by day in 90 days of course), with FCL IR nothing is required, with FAA PPL 3 by night are required

What is hard to keep is the “night takeoff” currency during summer, especially under FAA rules, the civil twilight in central europe now is around 2245LT

For airport opening hours, it’s a pain, especially in UK, I flew to Cardiff very late one day with a very poor choice of alternates: Newquay or Oxford (Southend has a heavy night pricing surcharge after 2130LT, still cheaper than Stansted which is north of 500£)

Also one has to avoid talking about ‘practice & training’ when asking for PPR, night VFR circuits are likely banned, except with local arrangements (Tuesdays at Elstree, Saturdays at Stapleford, Fridays at Blackbushes)

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Jul 11:33

I think boscomantico is right here. On a RTW trip this is unlikely to be a problem. I assume based on the question and past posts that you don’t have an EASA license, so the FAA currency rules will apply. But I think this is just a case of properly planning your trip rather than flying circuits for currency. And I fly IFR all over Europe with no issue finding fields with approaches. You won’t be able to just land at any little grass strip IFR, and yes there are fewer fields with IFR procedures than in the US, but there are more than enough to accomplish your trip. What you need to consider in choosing the right airfields is the combination of services available.

EHRD, Netherlands
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message