Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

AIR BP fuel card

Anyone know why I’m being charged double?

126 litres is £177.18 + £119.94 charges. That’s £297.12.

Last Edited by pilotrobbie at 24 May 23:28
Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Reading this I would avoid using my BP card wherever possible and pay cash or CC.

At least then the bill is settled and you havnt got months of arguing with some dimbo in the accounts dept

United Kingdom

Seems to have fixed itself overnight. Not sure what it was playing at, but here’s the breakdown of costs in Girona using Exolum. Paying AirBP.

I’ve been stung with £119.94 charges, admiringly £50 of that is VAT.

EGSG, United Kingdom

This happens sometimes but BP will always fix it, whereas if you get ripped off by a fueller somewhere, you are not in any position to dispute it afterwards (although it should not happen in the first place, except with Jet-A1 which is sometimes “surprisingly billed” with duty and VAT).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

pilotrobbie wrote:

I’ve been stung with £119.94 charges, admiringly £50 of that is VAT.

And 39.93 is excise duty, 1.31 is another State-imposed stuff, 0.77 airport fee and 26.96 is “commercial” fees by fueller.

ELLX

Peter wrote:

This happens sometimes but BP will always fix it, whereas if you get ripped off by a fueller somewhere, you are not in any position to dispute it afterwards (although it should not happen in the first place, except with Jet-A1 which is sometimes “surprisingly billed” with duty and VAT).

So do I dispute it or will they do it for me? Because a lot of these fees are absurd. Without all the unnecessary fees, it would only be £1.40 a litre without 21% VAT.

EGSG, United Kingdom

The hook-up fee is weird but not uncommon. You could try the Tinder app – you get free hook-ups on that

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The hook-up fee is weird but not uncommon

I swear it was printed in my World Fuel invoice in Lille as ‘hooker fee’ !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I swear it was printed in my World Fuel invoice in Lille as ‘hooker fee’ !

That would be for the harnesses. When I first started looking at planes for sale that always used to amuse me.

LFMD, France

pilotrobbie wrote:

So do I dispute it or will they do it for me? Because a lot of these fees are absurd. Without all the unnecessary fees, it would only be £1.40 a litre without 21% VAT.

1.40 a litre is without excise duty, without the compulsory stock fee and without the airport fee. You don’t have a case to dispute those, none, zilch, nada. Unless (for excise duty) you fly commercial (so under an AOC) or for training (as in the airplane is operated by a school and this flight was a school flight). Even in those cases, for a successful dispute, you’d better have filled in the fuel ticket correctly and shown the AOC to the fueller and and and).

I know that the UK doesn’t charge those at the pump, and relies on non-exempted operators self-declaring and paying the excise duty, but other countries typically don’t, and charge those at the pump. And reimburse excise duty (not VAT on the excise duty…) on fuel for training flights to schools upon request.

The compulsory stock fee is a state fee; it is (supposed to be) used for constitution of the national strategic reserve.

Hook-up fees and overwing fee… you can try to dispute, if you got a quote beforehand, and the fee was not disclosed in advance, not even in the “list of fees that maybe applies” in small print in light grey on white background. They are somewhat common at bigger airports. Also “fee for having fuelled less than than many thousands of litres”.

Sometimes the overwing fee replaces the hook-up fee which is taken on pressure fuelling. Sometimes both apply cumulatively.

ELLX
Sign in to add your message