Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Interpreting surface analysis charts

Just come across this.

Quite an interesting overview, though (as with all Met theory I've ever done) I still struggle with applying this, in the context of doing a real A-B flight and getting wx data from the internet.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I just wanted to say thanks. I downloaded this yesterday. Weather is generally the number one factor in go / no go decisions so any info is good.

Personally I find a good decisionmaker for "high altitude" IFR flying

http://peter-ftp.co.uk/screenshots/2018-07-17_185636.jpg

One thing I have found particularly interesting is how a transition from a warm front to a cold front, along the same "line", is so often a location for a big TS. I am sure there is a reason...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

One thing I have found particularly interesting is how a transition from a warm front to a cold front, along the same "line", is so often a location for a big TS. I am sure there is a reason...

If I remember my met lessons correctly, that is where you most likely to find the end of a TROWAL

In terms my brain can understand, it is the point where warm moist air at the surface is most nearly surrounded by cold air trying to get under it. So you get lots of convection.

White Waltham EGLM, United Kingdom

Couldn't find the code for really shit weather.....

Egnm, United Kingdom

Does anybody use the "trial"mesoscale simulation on the UK Met site? It is interesting but I sometimes find it difficult to correlate the text description of the colour coding with the plot....eg right now there are blotches of white shown for which there is no corresponding description...or is it just me? :)

YPJT, United Arab Emirates
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message