Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Impressive piece of civil engineering ....

YSCB

I imagine that will be seriously sporty in any sort of wind. I hope they stuck EMAS at both ends too!

London area

What’s EMAS?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Engineered materials arrestor system

EMAS seems to be all the rage nowadays, LSZH also feels compelled to install one…

LSZK, Switzerland
YSCB

It’s brilliant stuff – if you look at the videos, it’s got a hard surface and almost like soft sand underneath. If you do overrun, it stops you rapidly rather than careering off the edge of the precipice to disaster.

London area

The Chinese government don’t seem to care all that much about human safety – you just have to look at the lack of worker safety there and the lack of pollution to control to know that if you overrun at that airport, you’re going straight off the end with no EMAS!

Andreas IOM

well, not significantly different from Sedona, AZ…..Link

LKKU, LKTB

Except they’ll be using it for CAT and scheduled services. I’ve been into Sedona and Catalina in an SEP and they are brilliant fun (though both tend to require a special checkout for renters). Catalina does have a scheduled air service, but using DC-3s from Long Beach. ICAO recommend 330m overrun at each end of a runway for good reason, and there have been plenty of unpleasant fatal accidents where aircraft have gone off the end of short runways.

Catalina and Sedona have fairly high accident rates too as I recall.

London area

I believe the DC-3s going into Catalina deliver freight not people, which seems a pity because it’d be really fun to take one there. Otherwise you are forced to fly yourself

13 Posts
Sign in to add your message