Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Average cost of private flying...

I compare it to holidays. When I am paying 7k for the annual holiday with the wife and kids, people used to discuss their holidays, and give me, yep 300 quid all in including flights. I always went home and sat and wondered why I was being constantly ripped off in my choice of holiday destination. Now, my view, if you want some All inclusive hell hole in Estapona, next to the railway station, feel free. You can probably do that on 300 quid all in, and all you can eat carvery. Take ten years off your life expectancy though.

To private flying

The Bonanza
Insurance 1420
Trust 295
Parking 3000
Maintenance 5000 – includes gradual upgrades

The Pilot
Medicals 290
Certs etc 300

Flight handling landing fees based on 70 hours 8870
Fuel based on 11.00 galls an hour 7690

Total annual cost 26,865.00.

That does not include the initial purchase of the aeroplane, training and licence costs, new headsets, new gizmos etc. I could go on, but I am actually starting to frighten myself. The true cost I believe………

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Horse ownership is not exactly a working class hobby either!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Rental costs for a 160hp Warrior here in UK are typically 150 Euro/hour wet.

A couple of points I’d make that are sometimes lost when comparing ownership vs rental costs

a) I find myself calculating airborne hours for the share-o-plane rather than tacho or hobbs. It was quite a shock to be charged by Hobbs in the US recently, even though the hourly rate is so much less than Europe. Our syndicate charges (towards engine/prop fund) by airborne time plus fuel used, so I no longer mind those 20 minute waits at the hold quite as much as I used to.

b) I found I did more “buddy flying” when in a club environment, sharing a leg rather than flying (and paying for) the whole return trip. Although you don’t log the hours as P1, it can mean you get 2x or 3x for the same money. I imagine cost sharing is even less likely if sole owner, but it depends on your circumstances.

On the other hand, there’s no doubt that the share-o-plane is better equipped, can be taken away for days or even weeks at a time etc. etc. and there is more control over maintenance/upgrade issues. This makes trips possible that simply wouldn’t be feasible with rented/club aircraft.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

£80 per month for a C172 plus £80 per hour. Non-equity share. And I know of people paying considerably less.

QuoteYou just have to prioritise slightly different, maybe live a little cheaper.

Yes, like leaving your apartment and camp under the wing of the plane
BTW, here in Spain nowhere near one would make 15-20 k GBP at a McD, more like 6 k.
Employers do seem to use the old adagium ‘to never waste a good crisis’.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

My half share in a Falco costs me around £7500 per year all inc for 50 hours flown so ownership for me is way better than renting.

Forever learning
EGTB

Hodja – you can.

A Rollason Condor or any of the small, old, wooden aircrafts with a simple C85 and on the Annex maintenance would cost very little. Maybe £3000-5000/year? If one really wanted to fly and own an aircraft, you could manage that on a £15-20K McDonalds salary. You just have to prioritise slightly different, maybe live a little cheaper.

Anyone can afford aviation, anyone can afford to be an aircraft owner. Even if you work at McDonalds.

You can buy/build real nice RC model aircraft for around 200€ these days. It will take an average McDonalds employee here in Germany three to four months to put aside that amount after having paid his rent, bus tickets (no way he can afford a car here) and the most basic food and clothing…

EDDS - Stuttgart

One school at Shoreham EGKAprice list

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Outside US, EUR250/hr seems de rigueur for a 180hp spam can.

Don’t know where you are, but as a serial renter I’ve never paid even close to that price.

53 Posts
Sign in to add your message