Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR training material

Does anybody know any other IFR training materials related to Europe and ICAO?

This will get you through your IR theory. Nothing else needed. I used the same system and passed all exams for IR in three consecutive days on the first try: https://www.aviationexam.com/

It is worth every penny you invest in it.

LKHK, Czech Republic

I used aviation exam (AE) too, but beware that their questionbank is good but it’s not 1:1 the same as your exams will be. People used lean the AE questions by heart and sailed through their exams. This is not the case anymore, my personal experience. AE is very useful nonetheless and it’s only € 12,00 per subject I believe.

EHTE, Netherlands

Still I think it is the best question bank available on the market and if it is not 1:1 than 95% of it is. As I said, thanks to AE I was able to do all of my IR exams in three consecutive days with zero fail rate.

LKHK, Czech Republic

The most efficient way is to use aviationexam and go through the questions one by one. If you don’t know the answer or get it wrong, you go to ‘explanation’ and read that, and if you like, the comments from other students. After a while, you know the subject; that’s the most efficient way to do it, because it limits the learning effort to the question type. The rumour is a lot of the questions are currently being replaced, i.e. in Germany they’re now introducing more text based questions instead of multiple choice based ones. Many ATO’s require 85% for the pre-exam (or maybe its even a rule), which should bring you through the final exam if you don’t wait too long.

I’m currently close to finalizing the pre-exam and will then go the German LBA for the final test. The days where you just learn all the questions by heart seem to be over, though.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Test based questions will drop the pass rate dramatically – because most of the material is nonsense and barely related to aviation. I wonder how “the system” will cope with that. The entire ATPL ground school system is based on people doing computer question banks, and having multiple choice questions where you work by eliminating the “obviously wrong” answers and then, with some understanding of what the question writer (who was prob99 not a pilot) was smoking, you tick off the right answer.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That’s still the case and nobody sees the light. The text based questions are in actually the same answers so if you do it often enough, at some point you know the answer after the first two words. But that’s just memorizing, not learning.

The test in flight planning has a lot of questions and very few time which you spend looking for waypoints in shitty copied maps. As if flight planning is ever done under time restraint. So, the only solution is to learn the stuff by heart. Which is prime nonsense.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 20 Sep 19:43
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

aviationexam is not really what I’m looking for. I need some additional book to PANS-OPS (Doc 8168) that will show and explain procedures on few examles. Something like FAA ‘Instrument Procedures Handbook’

There are a couple of apps for the iPad where you can simulate approaches and navigation procedures. Is that what you mean ?

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Not really. I’m looking for some supplementary material to 8168 that will explain in details how to perform different procedures and maybe some examples how to fly different approaches.

Sign in to add your message