Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Entering Course Reversal on NDB/VOR Approach

I guess that must have been the question.

In that case, strictly speaking, one needs to respect the MSA circle on the chart, and if you comply with that you can do whatever kind of DIY positioning around the NDB which is not prohibited on the chart. Respecting the MSA may mean arriving at/above the MSA and doing the descent to the IAP platform while on the 115 deg outbound leg.

A procedure turn is one common way and would be good if say coming from the east.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Or is the question, if you are approaching SLG from the south and doing the teardrop procedure rather than the DME Arc, how do you get established outbound?

You need to be positioned +-30 degrees of the outbound heading. If heading north you can’t just turn right at the aid. The hold won’t help you in this approach so you would head to the west to come in at SLG heading 085 to 145 degrees then take up the heading outbound.

Last Edited by JasonC at 28 Oct 07:59
EGTK Oxford

Only one thing is clear: do not use the ADF for this!

If you want to do it the super exact way, draw an OBS line from SLG on your GPS and couple the autopilot to it. For me, that would be too much hassle, so overhead SLG I would turn to 115 and then watch the COG (course over ground) on my EHSI (or any GPS) and tweak the heading to it remains on 115 more or less. The same way you can do the 282 inbound but that is harder because you do not know where exactly you end up after the inbound turn so an OBS would be more appropriate for the inbound.

In real life if you’re not vectored, the GPS most likely contains the complete procedure which has waypoints for all those DME distances given and you load + activate it and have the autopilot execute the whole procedure.

Last Edited by achimha at 28 Oct 06:51

Do you mean: how would one navigate the 115-track outbound leg to 8.5D?

Administrator

NDB 29 EISG – bad example. Ignore IAFs to east.

Last Edited by DMEarc at 27 Oct 23:03

I would say you do your best to fly it as published.

So as you cross the beacon, you turn onto the outbound leg right away, do a quick tweak on the heading so the GPS track matches the published outbound track, and fly the required distance/time/whatever.

Maybe I am not understanding you. We need a diagram. Can you post a little bif of an approach plate, or I can if you pick the airport ICAO code.

Administrator

It depends whether the PT is mandatory or not. Solid line on Jepp chart.

EGTK Oxford

Agreed re GPS. But do you just fly past the beacon, say for a minute, turn back outwards it on a more reasonable heading to intercept the outbound track? How much freedom is the pilot allowed when say ‘cleared procedural VOR 23, report beacon outbound’?

Without being smart, can we go for a dance past the NDB above MSA and turn around as we want or is there an official way to do it?

I use a GPS and fly the track it says with whatever heading is needed to do so. I would never willingly fly the VOR or ADF as primary. You overfly the beacon and take up the new track. This is the same whether you are talking GPS or VOR/NDB tracking.

Last Edited by JasonC at 27 Oct 22:38
EGTK Oxford

Outbound leg…

14 Posts
Sign in to add your message