Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tablet software reviews

LeSving I am a great fan of SkyDemon so I would be most interested in knowing what you consider it lacks please. I do not do much IFR flying if that is a consideration.

UK, United Kingdom

What other products seem to be doing is integration with some type of AHRS or other generator of in-flight data like OAT, PA, IAS, MH and so forth. Essentially the stuff that can’t be derived from a plain GPS signal. They then use that data to provide information like wind vectors or even a full-blown AI. Some have even started to venture out into synthetic vision type applications, where the iPad becomes some sort of TV picture of what would be visible if it wasn’t so d*rn foggy. ;-)

The other thing that other products are doing is some sort of integration with PCAS devices like the Zaon (now out of business, I think) or PowerFlarm. This means other (transponder or Flarm equipped) aircraft are now visible overlaid on the moving map. A great safety feature.

At the moment those are the only things I can think of that would be a useful addition to SD for VFR flight. But not an absolute requirement.

The other thing I like about SD is that it’s trying to venture into the IFR space. So far they’ve only done the en-route IFR maps, but I hope there’s more to come.

It’s not a product to be compared in the discussed group but has anyone tried Austin Meyer’s Xavion? I especially like the idea that if I have an engine failure it can lead me to the best suited airport with a press of a button and showing me “hoops” to go through, taking into consideration wind and obstacles:

If you have an engine out, Xavion will plot an easy-to-fly course to a nearby runway. Xavion knows about your plane’s glide characteristics and the nearby terrain, so it guides you to the safest nearby runway—not just the closest.

Unfortunately it currently probably works only in the US.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

SkyDemon does actually depict traffic information from some FLARM-devices.

The data comes via a WLAN-connection,this requires additional hardware on the FLARM-side, to the tablet and is being presented on the moving map.

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

Which FLARM device would you recommend for that, Roland?

I can see why SkyDemon might not want to get involved with this: They evidently have the largest share of the UK VFR market and as Peter points out, probably a very nice business from it. They don’t have a great deal to gain from going head to head with the rest of the market, especially in an environment where they can’t ‘control’ the editorial as they can with the aviation magazines whose reviews are more advitorial’s if they wish to retain their revenue stream

I am unashamedly a SkyDemon user and probably one of their earliest customers; they were the first in the UK market with a good product at a sensible price point which they have continued to develop from customer feedback to do most of what people need. (One of our group has a vested interest in Apple and were constantly at them to develop the iDevice version – I think they may even have been supplied an iPad FOC to work with)

I have tried some of the competitors and none do all of the things I can do with SD or at least not with the same ease. One would also imagine that SD keep an eye on these forums too and I would say that there is more negativity towards SD here than on other forums, which I am sure is rightly levelled at something it does less well for certain groups of fliers here, or in particular geographies.

All said, I am looking forward to reading the review

EGBP, United Kingdom

I would say that there is more negativity towards SD here than on other forums, which I am sure is rightly levelled at something it does less well for certain groups of fliers here, or in particular geographies

Even if SD is a VFR product, it works very well for IFR. That said, I use it only for flight planning. All aircraft I fly have IFR-approved GPS units – although it is nice to have a tablet with SD as emergency backup in flight.

What I don’t understand is that people use SD instead of proper aeronautical maps. The SD maps are by a far cry not suitable for navigation by pilotage. Of course, as long as you follow the magenta line, the only map info you need is aeronatical info and SD does that very well. But what happens when your GPS for some reason doesn’t work?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Even if SD is a VFR product, it works very well for IFR

I wasn’t thinking IFR per se, but that is another valid point.

I am planning to write a review of in-flight tablet software for VFR and IFR flight. I’ve contacted several companies who make such software, then Peter and I will do an IFR flight somewhere, probably in May

Doing an IFR flight (yes I know there is a mention of some VFR) is probably not a great way to get products to review that are targeted specifically to VFR. I get the distinct impression that SD don’t really have an aim of breaking into the IFR market as this is even smaller than than the GA market. Anyone doing serious IFR is likely to already have certified equipment in the panel and is already using SD to do the things they want it to do. I know that a few people who fly light IFR have been lobbying them to link up with gCAP to bring in their plates via subscription and integrate them the same way as Pooleys and AFE information, but this has not happened. I would be surprised if it was gCAP that didn’t want the exposure to the SD customer base too.

EGBP, United Kingdom

Hi Alexis,

I cannot really give a recommendation as this would depend on too many variables, e.g. expecations of the user, available panel space, other avionics already installed etc.

My set-up is as follows and after about 1 1/2 years I am still happy with it. I works well within the restrictions of such a system:

- remote mounted PowerFlarm Core-box (at the time the Core had some functions over the TRX-1500. Today, as Garrecht have caught up, I would probably go for the TRX)
- Butterfly display on the RH panel (which is too far away from the pilot-side to read properly without having to bend almost out off the seat. However, the display is mainly for the person in the RH seat and as a back-up as traffic is also displayed via SkyDemon on the iPad).
- remote mounted Air Connect-box which transfers GPS and traffic data via WLAN to the iPad
- the Core is wired into the intercom so I also get an aural warning in case of conflicting traffic

Traffic data could also be displayed on the GTN650 but I use the GTN pretty much only as Com/Nav and to drive the A/P. I prefer the traffic data on SD as I use SD as a moving map, also when flying IFR, and so have map and traffic information in one place.

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

What I don’t understand is that people use SD instead of proper aeronautical maps. The SD maps are by a far cry not suitable for navigation by pilotage. Of course, as long as you follow the magenta line, the only map info you need is aeronatical info and SD does that very well. But what happens when your GPS for some reason doesn’t work?

Wow, I thought that argument disappeared ca 5 years ago… Why is it not suitable? Why would I care if the GPS doesn’t work? I have a second mobile device, I have a radio, I have a compass, I have eyes. If all my devices broke, I would just call ATC and tell them (121.5 MHz). No problem, not even to fly an ILS without approach plate, all important information can be relayed by ATC over the radio. Ah and in case radio also fails, I have a mobile phone and I even have a satphone.

In Asterix, they are scared of the sky falling on their heads. I have a single shaft dual magneto. That scares me. The reliability of my mobile devices not at all.

Last Edited by achimha at 30 Apr 16:37
Sign in to add your message