Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is there a "universal" spin recovery method?

Canada and Alaska may have a higher proportion of low level manoeuvring in their statistics – not sure any interesting conclusion might be drawn, statistically speaking.

Spinning was taken out of the FAA syllabus to reduce training accidents I thought. Does Canada have a higher incidence of stall/spin accidents in training? This would be more apples to apples?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Since I learned to fly (in Canada) in 1976, I can think of a couple of training spinning accidents. But, in terms of things gone wrong causing accidents, I don’t have the sense that spin training accidents are high on the list. More common than instructor + student spinning (only two come to my mind in recent decades), I can recall many more spin in accidents with new pilots out fooling around, particularly in 172’s with four aboard. (And let’s recall that an all up 172 is spin recoverable, but more skill and effort will be required, and getting it right out is vital – don’t go more than a turn).

So perhaps new pilots felt emboldened with a little knowledge about spinning, and went out on their own. I certainly did. I recall my instructor demonstrating spins, asking me to demonstrate my ability to enter an recover, and then telling me to go an practice on my own, he did not like spinning. He did not spin with me again until my practice flight test.

I doubt that there are persuasive statistics about the spin training risks Canada vs US. But I certainly have had many American visiting pilots ask me to show them spins!

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada
72 Posts
Sign in to add your message