Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Planning Flight to Greece - seems much easier now!

I believe it was ca 90 € vs 30 €. That’s a lot of fish.

In Heraklion the difference in handling can be € 200 vs € 24 … I can’t eat that much fish ;-))

One landing pays your AOPA for years ….

Sitia handling is 75€ vs 35€ not a very big deal but I informed AOPA just to help them to continue the good job they do.
They kindly reply to me, they will check, discuss with them and come back…
Very efficient….

You are right Peter, I will focuse on fish… Do you think there is AOPA discount for fish ? 8-)

PPG

PPG
LFNV

Sitia handling is 75€ vs 35€ not a very big deal but I informed AOPA just to help them to continue the good job they do.

Considering that until a year ago there was no mandatory handling at Sitia and there is absolutely no need for it at this deserted airport. Also the airport is barely open at all. It’s 29.50 € total cost at Iraklion which is 1000x busier than Sitia. I’ve been to Sitia quite often but nowadays I prefer Iraklion.

Indeed. A total-rip off it seems.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 31 May 09:52
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Achima,
I know well Greece but I never fly there and I never been in Crete. I chose Sitia because it seem to be a small platform. I haven t yet the habit of foreign big facilities (I just did Valencia and, linate) I take more pleasure without a lot of procedures, I’m base on a small grass strip.

Any advise on Sitia is warmly welcome and on Crete in general. Why you prefer Heraklion ? Aeronautic or touristic reasons ?

PPG

PPG
LFNV

Why you prefer Heraklion ? Aeronautic or touristic reasons ?

Iraklion as a town is a contender for the ugliest city award… However, the airport is very good. H24 with customs/avgas and very attractive pricing. Let’s hope Fraport do not succeed in buying the Greek airports, I am sure the prices would go through the roof.

Sitia is a nice location although very small. The airport is highly impractical with its opening hours and when a metroliner comes, in the best case they ignore you and let you wait for 30 min and in the not so good case they force you to park your aircraft right behind the turbines of the metroliner which taxis downhill to the fuel bowser and then taxis uphill back to the runway with your little aircraft right in the jetblast. I almost lost my aircraft that way…

Heraklion is a crazy but interesting city. It’s not like some italian or croatian old city, the architecture is wild and mostly cheap and you certainly feel the African and Arabic influence. But it’s a lively place. And it’s a good base. You can rent cars for little money to drive to the southern coast, there’s many good restaurants and about 1000 cafes, at least it feels like … and it’s a good place for shopping.

Sitia is a really nice place – both the airport and the town. Super for an overnight stop.

Iraklion is the last place on Crete I would stop at for more than 5 minutes, based on my visit to the city in 2004. The airport might be good for a fuel stop; I can’t comment on that.

Such a shame to hear these reports of Sitia being so screwed up…

I was there in Sep 2014 after the EuroGA fly-in to Corsica – report here and a few times before that.

What are the contact details for the handler who is refusing to offer the AOPA discount at LGST?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message