Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Thuraya & XT Hotspot - Inflight?

(Okay, I’ll never fly 330 headings :-))

(Okay, I’ll never fly 330 headings :-))

Not related to satellite communications but I had this experience flying along a cold front and I wanted to have a look in there with the onboard radar. Anyone ever requested from ATC a sharp right turn for 30 seconds in order to get a look into the weather with the on board radar? ;-)

> All other aspects like bandwidth usage, firewalls etc. seem as if they could be solved with enough development effort.

I disagree, the bandwidth is equally important and so is its use to do limited internet browsing, email and messaging.

I’m sorry I meant that any of the shortcomings of the Thuraya 50kbits compared to ground based web surfing can be overcome with development effort. I was not comparing this to other satellite solutions.

As some know I heavily use Iridium but I also look in all other directions. If the Thuraya antenna limitations could be overcome it would be worth while to invest development resources in this direction. Practical experience shows that an good antenna solution is crucial for any real life satellite datalink. In fact there would be even higher bandwidth solutions like Inmarsat etc. but the antennas are just too big and/or need to be directed to the satellite. Unfortunately both is a show stopper for small GA aircraft.

Last Edited by Sebastian_G at 27 Feb 14:58
www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I wonder how well it will work in a low wing plastic Cirrus … maybe better

I so far had no problems getting a connection in a metal low wing PA28 by putting the phone on top of the dashboard

LSZK, Switzerland

After having used my Thuraya Satsleeve during my flying trip through Africa and the Middle East with good success, we have recently been testing it a little more, including other options of linking an existing Thuraya XT phone to our SATBOX.

Our findings are that the Thuraya solution needs a good antenna setup for it to work. It indeed works well with the external antenna in any direction. Letting your wife play on her mobile phone on Facebook is not really working out, but using apps like FB messenger or WhatsApp work very well. Downloading images works great if you have a specific app or custom website to provide that image with no other stuff sitting in its way.

Please refer to my earlier findings on how it behaves (the Satsleeve) by itself in the Cirrus. I would just be repeating myself if I would be answering that question again.
We are not yet ready for production, but all the tests were with good results.

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 07 Apr 13:06
EDLE, Netherlands

There have been no posts on this interesting thread since April.

Has anyone else had real-life experience of using the SatSleeve?

Has anyone got to the bottom of attaching an external antenna to a SatSleeve (which seems to be necessary for Thuraya) and if so which antenna?

I gave up trying to use the Thuraya XT phone due to erratic and dodgy connections, and was hoping there might be something better available now ……..

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

I have the SatSleeve and it’s OK. There is no docking station for the SatSleeve but it’s got the same proprietary connector as the XT and previous Thuraya phones. I got hold of a docker from an older Thuraya model and plan to disassemble it to get to the antenna connector and then build my own docker for the SatSleeve to connect it to my external antenna.

The XT has often trouble establishing GmPRS but once it’s established, it’s reliable. I usually start it before the flight and then leave it connected. I only use it with the docker and my external Thuraya antenna.

Which external antenna are you using?
Perhaps this one:

A basic Thuraya external antenna seems to cost in the region of $1500 …..

[image link fixed]

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

No, of course not That is not an aircraft antenna. You need something that is TSO’ed. Mine is from antcom, they have a long list of suitable antennae.

Ah ok. I don’t need a TSO’d item (for non-certified aircraft), just one that is as small/light as possible and works properly.

Did you make a cable to connect to the XT, with the proprietary connector? Or you have a Thuraya-made docker for the XT?

Maybe I should give up on the XT and just get a SatSleeve and rig up an external antenna in the manner you describe; but this seems a bit of a gamble as there’s no guarantee the assembly will work satisfactorily. Suitable cables are not available commercially, already assembled?

One other point, I presume that with the SatSleeve providing wifi internet in the cockpit, any wifi-enabled device such as my existing Nexus can connect to this?

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

I used the Antcom antenna – article here

It was never used in reality because the car holder for the old 7100 phone emitted too much RF interference to be of any use in an aircraft. It may be that the car holder for the XT is better…

The external antenna connections to the Satsleeve, if they are the same as for the XT, use custom spring-loaded connectors which are quite tricky to replicate. They don’t seem to exist on the market and one would need to break up a car holder and extract them from that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message