Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SEP engine failure in IMC, and flying an IAP with no engine power

Peter wrote:

Unless you have totally lost the plot, it is impossible to end up on a false glideslope.

Famous last words. It has happened quite a few times even to experienced airline crews. In fact, I believe it was a British airplane (Invicta) who was one of the first to actually experience the phenomenon, ending in a crash south of Basle (Vickers Viscount). While the actual technical aspect had been known before, I believe this was the first time it resulted in an accident. Not the last however. I remember a 747 freighter somewhere in Russia not too long ago.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

One of many multiple glideslope threads.

It is very very hard to do this if you have a GPS moving map (the old airliner crashes were all sixpack stuff and with no moving map, and remember that just because it is an airliner does not mean they are supermen – look at AF447 for one of many examples) and, to get this back on the topic, a moving map is going to be your best friend if you get an engine failure in IMC.

And it’s gonna be totally your best friend if you get an engine failure above some terrain In fact most GA pilots don’t even have a moving map that’s any good for that scenario (a proper topo map showing the canyons).

I think we have already established that since a TBM needs > 4deg to fly a GS with no power, there is sod-all chance of any of us SEP pilots flying any IAP anywhere with no motor up front

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The ‘harder’ the IMC and the lower the bases, is surely the time to be flying higher.
At say FL180 you have a better chance to glide to a bigger airport.
I’d rather dead stick to 3000m than 1500m if possible.
If I was at FL180 there would surely be a bit more choice and a bit more time to prepare, to emerge from cloud at 500ft and hope to be in a position for a good go at some tarmac.
I’ve decided that anything other than guaranteed solid ground stands a good chance of overtuning a heavy high wing as the nosewheel digs in, so it’s gear up for me.
I’m assuming for a land-out the insurance company will own it either way so I’d like to avoid the violent overturn in addition to everything else.

United Kingdom

Has anyone used the Xavion App recently? I had it a few years ago but the database was inaccurate for europe.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Has anyone used the Xavion App recently? I had it a few years ago but the database was inaccurate for europe.

I tried it on my Extra this summer. I think the position/attitude updates were not enough. The app requires some setting up. First, measure descent rates in various engine/prop configurations. Then it needs to know the wind. There are videos of successful tests like this one

I personally didn’t get that far.

Last Edited by loco at 18 Dec 12:21
LPFR, Poland

Ibra wrote:

I think the false LPV glide path that cuts throw terrain in cold days, of course it’s only apply applicable when flying at -100deg C temperatures with LPV degradation

The LPV SBAS vertical guidance is independent of temperature. Baro-VNAV vertical guidance is dependent on temperature.

KUZA, United States

Thanks Airborne_Again/NCYankee, looks good for LPV in -100deg C then

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Xavion app thread

Few identical threads merged

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

I’ve never tried Xavion, but you get the glide distance ‘ring’ in ForeFlight which takes terrain into account. Pretty cool feature.

Yes it‘s a nice feature. You can quickly assess if it’s worth to try for an airfield or not.

Without Xavion (if it works), I wouldn’t feel comfortable in a SEP (without plan b) at night or in overcast imc down to the ground.

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message