Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How do you enter an SID, Transition, STAR, approach and runways in JeppFD on iPad?

It’s true that one rarely flies the exact filed route, but some suitable representation of it is useful in flight in case of the lost-comms scenario. That is not wholly uncommon because even at 150kt you can fly out of range of the current (or previous) station if something gets forgotten. In the airline world (500kt) it happens more often.

We could have another “paper or paperless” discussion but IMHO paper is good because the batteries can’t go flat (etc). If your door comes off it may fly out of the door but then you will have an interesting flight anyway (OAT -25C, etc)…

It’s unfortunate that AFAIK there isn’t a free product which generates an “airway” depiction, into which you can copy/paste the validated route, and which can print out strip charts along the route, showing all the intersections on the route and around it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The only thing I use JeppFD for in-flight is as a backup for the ChartView on the G1000. I have in the past entered the routes, but never used it for anything in-flight.

LFPT, LFPN

boscomantico wrote:

Why do you want to mess with routes in-flight?

Trying it out and looking at what it will show me in flight as position. I am new to IR and looking to find my way around, see what apps are there, what they can do for me, etc.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

In-flight is all about doing what ATC says…

Exactly! I’ve been flying with Jeppesen mobile FD on iPads for some two years now but can’t remember when I ever bothered to enter the routing there, other than for trying how it works. Quite often, I won’t even enter the full routing into the FMS as in my experience one overflies one or two waypoints from a route of 30 at best.

EDDS - Stuttgart

No, for in-flight.

I am still confused. Why do you want to mess with routes in-flight? Routes are for pre-flight planning (and for getting an FPL into the system to get going).

In-flight is all about doing what ATC says…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 19 Jul 11:53
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Jepp don’t have any flight planning products suitable for IFR – well not for the whole actual process. Except for isolated cases in say France FL065-190, they never had anything which generated routes that Eurocontrol validate.

The old Flitestar program (bought-in many years ago as a Mac program from an outfit called Mentor, and rumoured to be discontinued but still listed around the place) allows you to copy-paste a (validated) route and then automatically generate a load of very nice printed (or PDF if you like) stuff (enroute strip charts, etc) for flying with – described in this old trip writeup. This is still what I use on most trips and have been since 2005. I am not quite ready for flying with just a waypoint list

But really if you just want a bit of paper with waypoints, and maybe a simple route pic, Achim’s router will give you that. In the past, I have used the free FPP tool for the same job but that part of it is quite buggy. The developer is involved with RR and I am amazed that tool is still out there

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

But I thought we were talking pre-flight planning?

No, for in-flight. I got this route from autorouter (I only changed the SID because autorouter does not know takeoff is from RWY 28):

ZUE2V ZUE Z601 BODAN Z601 KPT DCT NINUR DCT TULSI TULSI3A

And I want to put it in JeppFD for the flight. If I only enter the departure/arrival + the points but no SID/STAR, the route shown in the app is significantly different in the departure and arrival than the actual one (it’s just DCT). So I wanted to enter it and be able to follow it in flight.

JeppFD doesn’t have any possibilities for flight planning AFAIK. It is not the same as other Jeppesen products used for planing.

Last Edited by Vladimir at 19 Jul 11:37
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

But I thought we were talking pre-flight planning?

Last Edited by boscomantico at 19 Jul 11:32

Has the Jepessen plates which are easy to use in flight and switch between them. I use autorouter for planning but in flight it’s not much of a help, unless there are features I don’t know about.

What do you use in flight?

Last Edited by Vladimir at 19 Jul 11:23
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

I may be missing something, but why do you use that antiquated piece of software at all? What does it do that the (free) autorouter doesn’t?

17 Posts
Sign in to add your message