Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA Journey Log requirements

“Purpose of flight” – ?

HB reg aircraft need to carry a journey log book which must be approved by FOCA (VLL article 20) That journey log book has a column “purpose of flight”, where you are supposed to enter whether the flight was private, instructional, for maintenance, etc. and whether the flight was VFR or IFR.

Interestingly, according to VLL one is supposed to sign log book entries, but I’ve never seen anyone doing this, and the log book doesn’t even have a column for that.

LSZK, Switzerland

When I registered my microlight, my CAA sent not only the registration document but also a blank aircraft logbook. As I was taught, I note down every flight three times: in the aircraft log, in the pilot’s log, and in the aerodrome log. During training, I was told that our CAA do occasionally check for coherence between the three. I have never been ramp-checked as yet so the log has never been asked for.

Its layout corresponds quite close to the ICAO requirements as illustrated above. The title page refers to the national that requires such a “carnet de route/reisdagboek” but does not mention ICAO. Neat enough, it has the same dimensions (A5, landscape) and thickness as the pilot’s log so the two fit side by side in the A4 map that holds all official documents.

And of course it is MY log so I use it as suits me – after each flight I increment the “engine time since last oil change”.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

GENDEC – a document which seems to have died out in Europe except Greece where they love it …

GENDEC is mandatory in Serbia as well – you fill the form on every departure.

Regarding journey log, it’s required in Croatia during ramp check – I don’t know if it’s reserved only for 9A aircrafts, all EASA-land aircrafts or they require it for all aircrafts (probably the last one).

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

“I never carry aircraft logbooks, they stay with the maintenance company.”

I think this is not a good idea.

I have heard accounts from pilots who have had a row with their MO (eg about a bill or a bad repair) and found it difficult to get the logs out of them when they want to go elsewhere. Also if the MO goes bust, it can be a problem getting a receiver to return them.

Last Edited by Jonzarno at 07 Oct 07:22
EGSC

Yes – 100% good advice.

The unfortunate side effect of the culture of “logbook inserts” is that people selling a plane with a bad history can easily “forget” to insert the inserts and I know of some spectacular cases…

Anyway, I am still looking for a nice compact journey logbook – not the massive CAA one I have just filled up.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ok, I have trawled the internet to bring you what may be the perfect journey logbook

Small (fits in lipstick compartment glove box), not too expensive and spiral bound, too. What more could you want?

Voilà…

Available from La Boutique du Pilote

Bordeaux

Brilliant find, Jojo

Spiral bound is much better.

I see they read the US pilot forums too:

The new version now contains an entry for tracking GPS database updates

That is earth shatteringly important for aircraft airworthiness

Perhaps bizzarely, for the In and Out I have always logged the “flight times” i.e. brakes off to brakes on, while in the flight duration column I have put the airborne time. Then, any reference to a “service done at xxxx.xx hours” actually makes sense. I guess most people do their 50hr etc checks based on the flight time, but that is 10-20% more frequently as a result.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I was ramp checked in Calais last year and the gendarmes were happy with the CAA version as displayed by Peter earlier in the thread. The whole process only took about 15 minutes including the posing for photographs.

Please don’t wear his-vis outside the UK! (unless specifically required elsewhere)

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Is there anything stopping one from creating their own journey log?

Great Oakley, U.K. & KTKI, USA
Sign in to add your message