Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA Journey Log requirements

Nothing, I am sure, though that French link posted by Jojo is going to be a lot cheaper than printing out the pages on a laser printer and taking them to a copy shop to get them trimmed to size and suitably bound.

I did that with a custom checklist once and it cost about 30 quid, and that was after I printed it all out, trimmed it, laminated the pages, trimmed it again…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

So as to not cause too much thread drift in the FAA ramp check thread…

The subject of journey logs came up. I’ve found things that pertain to commercial operators, but what’s acceptable for private operations? The EASA AMC (here – http://code7700.com/pdfs/easa_acceptable_means_of_compliance_annex_iii_part_oro.pdf – page 100) states the requirement is:

AMC1 ORO.MLR.110 Journey log
GENERAL
(a) The aircraft journey log, or equivalent, should include the following items, where applicable: (my emphasis)
(1) aircraft nationality and registration,
(2) date,
(3) name(s) of crew member(s),
(4) duty assignments of crew member(s),
(5) place of departure,
(6) place of arrival,
(7) time of departure,
(8) time of arrival,
(9) hours of flight,
(10) nature of flight (scheduled or non-scheduled),
(11) incidents, observations, if any,
(12) signature of person in charge.

I made my own journey log folder rather than a pre-printed thing, and included everything above except nature of flight and signature of person in charge and time of arrival (it’s redundant: if you have time of departure and hours of flight, you can just calculate it). The times I record are taken straight out of Skydemon (at some point I might just automate my journey log from Skydemon’s output, since I’m now recording every flight with it). But the question I have: if, say, I went to France and the local airport police did a document check, how bent out of shape would they get that there was not a “signature of person in charge” (and given EASA says it’s fine to have an electronic journey log which won’t have my scrawls on it anyway, I can’t see it being that important), and there was not a “nature of flight”?

Andreas IOM

Part-ORO concerns commercial operations and complex aircraft, simply put. It’s specified in ORO.GEN.005. If you are non-commercial and non-complex (other than complex), you are interested in Part-NCO. It’s pretty much the same thing but here it is:

AMC1 NCO.GEN.150 Journey log

GENERAL

(a) The aircraft journey log, or equivalent, should include the following items, where applicable:
(1) aircraft nationality and registration;
(2) date;
(3) name of crew member(s);
(4) duty assignments of crew members, if applicable;
(5) place of departure;
(6) place of arrival;
(7) time of departure;
(8) time of arrival;
(9) hours of flight;
(10) nature of flight;
(11) incidents and observations (if any); and
(12) signature of the pilot-in-command.

(b) The information or parts thereof may be recorded in a form other than on printed paper. Accessibility, usability and reliability should be assured.

How about a custom journey logbook, for us who know exactly the required fields and no more?

Booklets are cheap to do. Spiral bound. ..

Administrator

@Peter Why bother? Simply make sure all that stuff is on the first page of your plog, sign it and file it. Or just save it as PDF, the rest of it will be in the technical log. You might want to ask how long you should keep it but for commercial and complex “guys” it suggests three month record-keeping period IIRC. To me it’s reasonable to assume requirements for a non-commercial and non-complex won’t be more stringent.

I don’t keep plogs in the aircraft, because they are used to writeup the airframe, engine and propeller logbooks, etc which live at home.

The idea of a custom journey log would be that

• it would contain only the fields legally required (the fields in the commercial ones are a hostage to fortune)
  • it would be cheaper than the commercial ones (at work, for example, we buy 1000 spiral bound 50 page A6 booklets for GBP 0.50 each)

Obviously, to be ultra cool, the quote from EASA Part-NCO would be on the inside front cover

Administrator

Who requires a journey log, the FAA certainly does not?

KUZA, United States

Most European countries (for aircraft registered therein). The UK is one of rather few exceptions, which is why most threads with questions about it come from there.

Part-NCO will require it for all aircraft operated in Europe (irrespective of country of registration).

Last Edited by boscomantico at 15 Oct 16:58
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

NCYankee wrote:

Who requires a journey log, the FAA certainly does not?

I’ve noticed reference to it in FAA documents dealing with international operations, for instance in this link. FAR 91.703 itself is linked here.

Quoting the first link: “International Operations Procedures. A journey logbook required by International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Annex 6, Operation of Aircraft, Part II, International General Aviation – Aeroplanes, for any aircraft engaged in international navigation and is regulatory for U.S.-registered aircraft under § 91.703”

Of course for anybody flying within the US, the concept of journey log being required would seem a bit bizarre.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 15 Oct 17:11

@Peter If I use “of the shelf” journey log I’m not obliged to fill all the fields it provides. If you want, for whatever reason, to keep another paper log, by all means. I’m all for custom logbooks and, when it comes to it, you could just write it down into an ordinary notebook. There are many ways to do it. Unless respective NAA comes up with some kind of gold plating.

Sign in to add your message