Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How much flying are people doing?

Hi Peter.

Thank you for passing it on to JasonC.

Have you put up the Airpark dissertation as cannot see it. Only ask as I've just seen via IAOPA that Spa-La Sauvenière Airport closed at the end of last month. Don't know whether my findings would have been able to help keep it open but know that it did help Gravity Park in Belgium (http://www.gravitypark.be/Airpark/Airparkproject/tabid/195/Default.aspx) to get the planning through for Belgium's first residental airpark.

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

We will have an email facility here one day

In the meantime I am on peter (at) peter2000.co.uk so can pass it on.

Posting an email address here is OK to the extent that you want to publicise it openly. I would obfuscate it a little bit...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Jason I noticed on the fly-in page that you might have a spare seat. I don't think that I'm experienced enough to fly the C150 by myself as not yet crossed the Channel solo or otherwise and low hours. Also renting, even though quite reasonably, the C150 works out rather a lot for the trip. Happy to contribute to costs and only an hours drive from Cheltenham to Oxford.

I hope to meet up with some friends who are flying in for the fly-in from Biscarrosse where they live on the AirPark there. I had thought of going down there first (commercial flight from Bristol/Bordeaux) but as its not 100% which weekend as wx dependant might be a bit dodgy on booking EasyJet seats.

Peter (admin) has my email address. Not sure if its a good idea to post that or telephone number here.

Regards J

Sounds like you are approaching it the right way. Even if only doing a few hours trying to learn all the time is I am sure a good way to approach every flight. I try to do that every flight too - always do a personal debrief and review things that went well and badly. Even if I am the only one who was in the plane.

EGTK Oxford

@JasonC - I agree, though I do tend to find new things to do - flown to 8 new airfields, two new types since licence issue about 12 months ago. Better at navigation; probably worse at PFLs than I was when I passed my test. Had a radio failure, and got myself lost then found again. Had to take avoiding action a few times. Had to abandon the aircraft for someone else to bring back due to weather.

I still learn something new every flight, and I think in general I'm still learning faster than I'm forgetting. At the moment my aim is to stay safe, and perhaps in the future I'll either be richer, or fly something very frugal (e.g. Luciole) where I'll be able to afford more hours.

I rent a C150 and am doing only about 2 hours a month. There are only 3 of us checked out on the aircraft including the owner to availability is excellent. Would be nicer to have some company on some landway/trips so often just stay local and try to improve my flying skills instead of a solo land away/solo cup of coffee and solo flight home.

So if anyone is based near EGBJ and wants to share some flights and costs then that would be great.

People obviously can only fly as much as they can afford. However it is hard to stay properly current at that sort of rate per month.

EGTK Oxford

The UK PPL average is believed to be in the region of 20-30hrs/year.

Obviously the standard deviation will be fairly big.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I aim for 2 hours/month and thought I was doing well. Certainly can't afford any more alas.

At any point did you really wish you had just stayed on the ground???

It was actually fine just slow. Only got bumpy going through the front itself. 100kt headwind is not fun but different in a plane that cruises at 185-210 kts vs one that does 130.

EGTK Oxford
39 Posts
Sign in to add your message