Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Best IFR airfield for Munich

My friend flew into Oberpfaffenhofen in a CJ2 last week, said it was fine.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

The very best would be Oberpfaffenhofen (EDMO) but severe restrictions apply, you probably will only get permission to fly there for maintenance. If they do maintenance for SEP aircraft at all.

Sorry to restart the thread but flew into EDMO last week. Great location. PPR a bit of a hassle but easy to get. Much closer than Augsburg.

But you need to be over 2t.

Take-offs and landings in en-route air traffic under IFR with aircraft of a MTOM of at least 2t up to a maximum of 25t as well as aircraft types Falcon 7 X, Global XRS (including types Global 5000 and Global Express), Gulfstream G 550 (including types G500, G350, G450, GIII, GIV and GV)...

EGTK Oxford

Seems like Augsburg gets well reviewed and is a far more cost effective option than Munich EDDM.

The write up on PPL IR is here. Alan has done the ground transport into Munich many times, and I'm sure would answer any questions directly.

I did Ingolstadt a few years ago, but didn't go into Munich from there either. Not quite as slick but not bad -- still has a bit of a 'civil corner of military field' about it when I was there. Looks like a slightly longer train journey into Munich but still 3 trains an hour.

Is Egelsbach the only real option in Frankfurt? VFR but with IFR cloudbreaks.

Yes, unfortunately. It's the Netjets base and you see a lot of heavy iron doing "VIFR" stuff, occasionally killing themselves. Make sure to study the "IFR" (direct in) approaches well, have all waypoints in your GPS as well as a clear plan about which altitude to have where and then close your eyes and go for it.

Maybe I should move to a place where there is nothing but a GA airfield

Good idea, GA is far more economical now I live further from Heathrow!

EGTK Oxford

Well, surely one can charge private airplane costs as business expenses for business trips.

However, I rarely find opportunities where using the private plane makes sense. I live quite centrally with good train and airplane connections so most of the time there is a good connection. My customers are usually located in a bigger city.

I have to say that I never take the car, I hate driving. The longest distance drive I do is to my airfield (30 min), never further than that.

Two examples lately: customer in Paris, I took the plane once but it was several times more expensive and took longer than the TGV which goes directly from my home town and takes 3.5h. Other example was Prague. There was a direct flight for a fraction of the cost of my plane and it was in sub zero conditions which means I might have a problem the next day with icicles on my airplane. In both cases the GA airports were rather remote.

Maybe I should move to a place where there is nothing but a GA airfield?

Neil wrote:

We had a customer who saw the Directors cars out the front of our office

I would have told him they were other customers cars...

EGTT, The London FIR

I wonder if he shuts his bank account when he sees the bank boss get a €10M bonus

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We had a customer who saw the Directors cars out the front of our office and then categorically stated he would never place new business with our firm while the Directors drove cars like we did.

They weren't Rolls Royces either, the total cost of the 3 or 4 cars was less than a TB20

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one