Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anyone on here flying an N reg across the Alps to Rome Urbe yesterday?

Yesterday afternoon around twilight I heard an N reg SEP call up Treviso at FL100 just south of the Alps above a solid undercast with plenty of fog around in N Italy looking to divert as they were unable to make it to LIRU, possibly to Firenze. I didn’t catch the full callsign as we were pretty busy, but I wondered if it was anyone on here as I would like to know whether they got down safely as we were quite concerned about them.

Italian ATC were not exactly being helpful to them either…

London area

There was a Columbia 300, N2511X around that time and altitude, who seems to have landed at Florence. It has flown again on the 6th and 7th.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Columbia 300, N2511X

Not mine

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

I did something similar last summer after first attempting to fly Bolzano-Brenner-Austria but giving up because clouds and mountains don’t mix when you’re VFR. Then I tried to get past the Alps via France and got trapped above an undercast on the coast (wanted to refuel at Albenga) & so turned around and landed at a deserted airfield Voghera. ATC called me on my mobile to make sure everything was okay “we know everywhere you’ve been,” they said. But were quite friendly. I find ATC in alpine areas invariably helpful.

Tököl LHTL

Thanks Mooney Driver – much appreciated. Glad it turned out okay for them.

London area
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message