Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA Basic IR (BIR) and conversions from it

Me too….

Having just revalidated my SEP after some years away from flying – and it’s great to be back in the air again! – I’ve started thinking about my IMC rating.

I’d probably have to do a reasonable amount of retraining to be able to pass the test. I don’t need to do the exams again but obviously need to study it all again to remember the theory, and have started this already.

I toyed with the CBIR bit I think the cost and time is out of my reach, whereas the BIR seems like it could really be a good fit (on paper) if it came to fruition.

I’m not in a rush I’m only just back in the air, so enjoying flying again and honing my skills (plenty of work to do there). I don’t have a share yet so will be hiring club aircraft for the foreseeable future. So I guess my thoughts are – should I invest in getting the IMC back soonish, or just wait until the BIR is with us? Any ideas about when this will be? I was away for six years and seemingly nothing has changed in that time, so presumably I’m in for a long wait?

Great to see this website, Peters TB20 tales were always inspirational – and am amazed at the achievements (and no hours) since I last followed flying.

Last Edited by VFR-UK at 07 Sep 09:30
United Kingdom

A bit surprisingly, the Basic IR regulation was published yesterday and will enter into effect on the 8th of April.

Here is a link:
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32020R0359&from=EN local copy

I have not had the time read it yet.

ESSZ, Sweden

Amazing we got there 3 years later.

How close is the regulation to the original proposals?

Two identical threads merged.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Fly310 wrote:

A bit surprisingly, the Basic IR regulation was published yesterday and will enter into effect on the 8th of April.

The regulation makes several changes to part-FCL – not only introducing the BIR. Some of the changes are effective on April 8, but the BIR part is not until September 8 next year!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Wow, good catch! I did not see that!
You do wonder why they would publish already if it is 18 months left…

Last Edited by Fly310 at 06 Mar 07:32
ESSZ, Sweden

I take it that it has to be taught at an ATO?

Bathman wrote:

High chance IMCr/IRR will be grandfathered as BIR while in “transition” as it was the case for many non-EASA tickets RTF, BCAR, BCPL, NPPL, SLMG…or probably none of this is probably relevant as high chance UK is out of EASA

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Mar 16:44
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Bathman wrote:

Since the BIR is competence based, you can train for the competencies anyhow you like. But the competences must be checked by ATO before the course is complete you take the skill test. This is reflected in the wording:

FCL.835
(c)(3)(iii) The modules specified in paragraphs (c)(2)(i), (c)(2)(ii) and (c)(2)(iv) may be commenced outside an ATO but shall be completed at an ATO. The module specified in point (c)(2)(iii) may be completed outside an ATO.

bookworm wrote:

you can train for the competencies anyhow you like

Including flight simulators with or without any approval or certification (but preferably with a good instructor).

huv
EKRK, Denmark

Since the BIR is competence based, you can train for the competencies anyhow you like.

I get no enjoyment from saying this, because I have been pushing for a “more like FAA” IR for best part of 20 years, but the “competence based” portion of the CB IR has not benefited many people, and I don’t think the BIR will be any better.

This seems to be partly because of a dramatic shortage of freelance IRIs. And a freelance IRI is the only way to save money, because if you book an IRI via an FTO you are not saving anything And partly because IMHO most CB IR candidates fail to realise the cost saving potential of this route (let’s face it, an FTO is hardly going to tell them about it).

Nearly all pilots who fly significant IFR are owners, or in a few cases syndicate members. Anyone who tires to rent out their capable IFR plane discovers there are very few customers with the right skills. Any ATO flight training requirement is a big obstacle because the ATOs resist putting a customer plane on their books – for various organisational / restrictive practices / laziness reasons. When I did my JAA IR (from FAA IR; conversion) in 2011, I was able to do this but shortly afterwards that option disappeared and had I been doing the Euro IR at any time since 2012 I would have had to travel to perhaps Bournemouth which would be a massive hassle (basically living out of some sh1ty hotel which is what the CPL/IR students at the FTOs there do; I stayed at one such).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message