Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA Basic IR (BIR) and conversions from it

DavidC wrote:

but only 67 MPL issued

Am surprised it was as high a number as this. The big MPL programmes do not go through the UK CAA.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

The EASA IR is a highly choreographed check ride

Perhaps the problem is with the check ride then?

Perhaps the check ride has evolved in part to protect the industry, by ensuring that only the full airline-orientated IR programme can prepare a candidate fully for it? The IR 170A stuff supports that idea somewhat.

Overall I much prefer the US approach. The regulator defines the syllabus and conducts the examinations, but how one chooses to learn is largely up to the individual. I’ve never understood why any regulator would feel it had a remit to prevent ill-prepared candidates wasting their money and failing tests.

Last Edited by Graham at 11 Mar 10:57
EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

why any regulator would feel it had a remit to prevent ill-prepared candidates wasting their money
Consumer protection. Too many crooks.
ESMK, Sweden

This topic has come up in various places over many years.

Officially, it is done because the CAA has a “duty of care” to students (yeah, must be the world’s most abused and least-meaningful phrase).

In reality the FTO industry has had a hand in this for decades because they want high first time pass rates, and students choose FTOs on the basis of their pass rates (they used to be available in some way, at least in the UK) before dropping the 80-100k in there. I have been told this by FTO owners many times.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Reading the comments in the thread, I think it should be renamed to CBIR (Competency-Based IR). The BIR (Basic IR) isn’t done yet. Current expectation is for mid-end 2021.

Also the discussion seems to be heavily UK-weighted, especially about the conduct of ATOs. The training systems across Europe varies a lot, within the limits of EASA regulation, and I think the UK is not necessarily typical. For example, in Switzerland there is one company (Swiss/Lufthansa Aviation Training, formerly Horizon) that concentrates on training for the airlines or corporate jets. The average GA PPL pilot just wanting to add an IR won’t likely use them, for various reasons. Instead, she will likely use one of the SwissPSA ATO group of 7 flying clubs (SwissPSA). If based at another airfield (e.g. Altenrhein) then there still are the private ATOs offering courses up to ATPL level for those who prefer a home-based outfit. However, the SwissPSA, being flying club driven, has an interest in increasing the attractiveness of GA flying, which an IR certainly does, and not increasing revenue per se.

LSZK, Switzerland

You swiss guys are lucky :)

LFOU, France

Reading the comments in the thread, I think it should be renamed to CBIR (Competency-Based IR).

Maybe this BIR thread went off the rails a bit, especially when comparing with the CBIR, but the main (newly merged ) CBIR thread is here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Jujupilote wrote:

You swiss guys are lucky :)

You might not think so if you knew the cost

LSZK, Switzerland

So any news on the BIR?

EGCJ, United Kingdom

Mark_B wrote:

So any news on the BIR?

As far as I know it will come into force in September 2021.

EIMH, Ireland
Sign in to add your message