Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft Documents - EASA and FAA (merged)

There’s no requirement for a “load sheet” in Part-NCO, only to be able to show that you are operating within the limitations of the aircraft certification (i.e. the AFM).

NCO.GEN.135 Documents, manuals and information to be carried
(a) The following documents, manuals and information shall be carried on each flight as originals or copies unless otherwise specified:
(1) the AFM, or equivalent document(s);
(2) the original certificate of registration;
(3) the original certificate of airworthiness (CofA);
(4) the noise certificate, if applicable;
(5) the list of specific approvals, if applicable;
(6) the aircraft radio licence, if applicable;
(7) the third party liability insurance certificate(s);
(8) the journey log, or equivalent, for the aircraft;
(9) details of the filed ATS flight plan, if applicable;
(10) current and suitable aeronautical charts for the route area of the proposed flight and all routes along which it is reasonable to expect that the flight may be diverted;
(11) procedures and visual signals information for use by intercepting and intercepted aircraft;
(12) the MEL or CDL, if applicable; and
(13) any other documentation that may be pertinent to the flight or is required by the States concerned with the flight.

GM1 NCO.GEN.135 Documents, manuals and information to be carried
GENERAL
(a) In case of loss or theft of documents specified in NCO.GEN.135, the operation may continue until the flight reaches the base or a place where a replacement document can be provided.
(b) The documents, manuals and information may be available in a form other than on printed paper. An electronic storage medium is acceptable if accessibility, usability and reliability can be assured.

GM1 NCO.GEN.135(a)(13) Documents, manuals and information to be carried
DOCUMENTS THAT MAY BE PERTINENT TO THE FLIGHT
Any other documents that may be pertinent to the flight or required by the States concerned with the flight may include, for example, forms to comply with reporting requirements.
STATES CONCERNED WITH THE FLIGHT
The States concerned are those of origin, transit, overflight and destination of the flight.

What exactly is a “journey log”?

Is is a log of journeys taken, or a navigation log for the planned flight? If it’s of journeys already taken, how far back does it have to go? Surely we don’t need to carry on board a log of every flight ever made by the aircraft?

Last Edited by dublinpilot at 02 Mar 14:00
EIWT Weston, Ireland

It is a log of flights done.

If you do a search here on

journey log

you might be 12.34% wiser.

Or you might not be

I don’t think anybody has defined what is supposed to be in it for the GA context.

I used to have a huge Pooleys book (too big to carry on the plane, and I don’t remember why I kept it) and when that got filled up after 12 years I bought the little journey logbook mentioned here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

dublinpilot wrote:

What exactly is a “journey log”?

Is is a log of journeys taken, or a navigation log for the planned flight?

Definitely not a “navigation log for the planned flight”. That is known as an “operational flight plan” and is mandatory for CAT.

AMC1 NCO.GEN.150 Journey log
GENERAL
(a) The aircraft journey log, or equivalent, should include the following items, where applicable:
(1) aircraft nationality and registration;
(2) date;
(3) name of crew member(s);
(4) duty assignments of crew members, if applicable;
(5) place of departure;
(6) place of arrival;
(7) time of departure;
(8) time of arrival;
(9) hours of flight;
(10) nature of flight;
(11) incidents and observations (if any); and
(12) signature of the pilot-in-command.
(b) The information or parts thereof may be recorded in a form other than on printed paper. Accessibility, usability and reliability should be assured.

How far must it go back? There’s no guidance but the concept comes straight from the Chicago Convention, so the implication was that it should at least record journeys since it left its home state. Don’t ask me how that works in EASA-land.

It is reasonable to ask what the purpose of the requirement for a journey log might be.

Can anyone guess, or has there ever been an explanation?

IMHO it is to incriminate the pilot or operator if he has “been up to no good” and been flying to places which he has not put in the log.

Then, since the log is legally required, not logging some flights creates a standalone criminal offence.

Administrator

Whats in an EASA training aircraft :

As required:

1.Interception Procedures
2.insurance Certificate
3.Maintenance release to service
4.Airworthiness certificate
5.Registration certificate
6.Noise certificate
7.Radio station licence
8.Weight and balance
9.Operators handbook
10.Valid licence and medical for aircrew

As in relation to journey log, I think this is more for a commercial ops rather then something to be carried in a light aicraft

Evo400

@bookworm – is that list applicable to any aircraft reg?

Administrator

From 26 Aug 2016 with an operator resident in the EU, yes.

Interesting… thanks. I am updating this

Administrator

Thanks BW.

So a log of flights since leaving home (registration) country is sufficient. That we’d tend to have anyway.

EIWT Weston, Ireland
Sign in to add your message