Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The end of the beginning (bought an SR22)

I get the Garmin Pilot Pak with CAA charts not Jepp on the MFD. With that and a single user iPad subscription to Jepp FD it is still cheaper than the Jepp G1000 sub.

The only issue is that if the Jepp Charts have been unlocked on the SR22, you need a software reload to be able to use Garmin Flitecharts. If you want MFD charts to be your primary source then I would go with Garmin. If, like me, you prefer reading charts on an iPad, get the cheap charts on the MFD as a backup.

Last Edited by JasonC at 10 May 10:09
EGTK Oxford

The Garmin pilot pack with Chart view for central europe is around 2500€.
For the pilot pack, you can only buy when calling Jeppesen.

Romain

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

The Garmin international Pilot Pak for your aircraft without the Jepp charts is:

International Standard + FliteCharts PilotPak $1234.00 Including NavData, Obstacles, SafeTaxi, Terrain, Airport Directory, FliteCharts, Basemap, and Frequency databases.

Last Edited by JasonC at 10 May 10:22
EGTK Oxford

The pricing of some of this stuff is eye watering.

@JasonC
So, most cost effective at the moment is $1234 from Gramin and a single install Jepp FD subscription for Central Europe at 546 Euros (from the Jepp web site) About £1300 pounds total. Though I am a member of COPA and they have negotiated a 15 month for the price of 12 deal with Jeppesen.

Jason, How do you go about printing from JeppFD on the ipad, or is it just not necessary?

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

There is a deal for COPA members with a substantial discount on the charts and databases. I don’t know if it’s good for European pilots and I don’t have details at hand, but could look this up if you’re interested.

Edit: The info is here.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 10 May 10:36

The pricing of some of this stuff is eye watering.

Welcome to Jeppesen, and welcome to Europe where Jepp pricing is about 5x higher (per airport count) than in the USA

Anecdotally, from people I know, I think the great majority of pilots with cockpits capable of displaying Jepp data don’t have the data installed, due to the cost. Or they have it on a new plane but don’t bother renewing it.

Regarding printing, you can’t. This has come up many times. In a seminar, Jepp told me their policy is to not support it. My guess is that if they allowed printing, then you could print to a PDF and share the subscription cost really easily (via dropbox etc). Currently, printing to a PDF (or anything else) can be done with the PC apps (Jeppview 4, basically) only.

All you can do on an Ipad is to generate a screenshot of each approach plate, and print the relevant images from the Camera Roll. There is a variety of apps for that. But obviously this can be hugely time consuming.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Rob2701 wrote:

Jason, How do you go about printing from JeppFD on the ipad, or is it just not necessary?

I try not to pollute my cockpit with paper but you can print a plate from JeppFD I believe (edit: based on Peter’s comment I could be wrong about that). I take the view that if I have plates on the MFD, navdata with all the approaches on the G1000 as well, and an iPad, I have sufficient backup.

Last Edited by JasonC at 10 May 11:06
EGTK Oxford

Jeppesen NavData yearly subscription for G1000 for Europe is €400 – you get update every 4 weeks. Terrain, obstacles and SafeTaxi you can obtain from Garmin and you don’t have to do it on a monthly basis – this is not so dynaminc and I don’t think it’s crucial to have latest update. I renew this once a year or even less frequently.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

Jeppesen NavData yearly subscription for G1000 for Europe is €400 – you get update every 4 weeks. Terrain, obstacles and SafeTaxi you can obtain from Garmin and you don’t have to do it on a monthly basis – this is not so dynaminc and I don’t think it’s crucial to have latest update. I renew this once a year or even less frequently.

Thanks for the tip.
I going to buy a one time update for the terrain, obstacles and safe taxi via Garmin.

Romain

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

Peter wrote:

Anecdotally, from people I know, I think the great majority of pilots with cockpits capable of displaying Jepp data don’t have the data installed, due to the cost. Or they have it on a new plane but don’t bother renewing it.

My anecdotal evidence is exactly the opposite. We, and everyone else we know, have the MFD chart subscriptions up to date. I accept I am thinking more in the turbine aircraft category where the subscription cost is not a big factor compared to the other bills rolling in.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)
Sign in to add your message