Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GTN 650/750 procedure

pmh wrote:

As I see it the GPS is tracking straight outbound without entering a racetrack

Ah. That’s not correct, no…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I just tried it on my iPad simulator and it looks like the racetrack is not in the database and therefore cannot be flown …

A lot of the racetracks are poorly coded. The EGTK NDB 01 racetrack has just been deleted after I found it could turn you inbound inside the FAF and hence never sequence. They need RTF legs etc as without that they can’t easily control the shape of the turns.

EGTK Oxford

I believe at EGBJ only the ILS 27 Hold has been coded in the Garmin database, holds are not coded for either 09 or 27 NDB approaches.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

On the ILS27 I can see the racetrack – but it keeps flying straight oubound.
I’m I correct that you need to do the racetrack or holding if outside 30 degrees of outbound track ?

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

On the latest version of the GTN software (certified in EASA on April 20th) you can place a hold wherever you like, so it doesn’t matter if they are not coded.

The box will then fly the correct join.

EGKB Biggin Hill

pmh wrote:

I’m I correct that you need to do the racetrack or holding if outside 30 degrees of outbound track ?

That’s the basic rule for base turns, yes. But you can alway enter the base turn from the reciprocal of the inbound track even if it differs from the outbound track by more than 30° (not the case for the NDB ay EGBJ).

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

That’s the basic rule for base turns, yes.

thank you.
Searching on the picture you attached let me to some interesting articles.
http://code7700.com/course_reversals.html#entry

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

pmh wrote:

Searching on the picture you attached let me to some interesting articles.
http://code7700.com/course_reversals.html#entry

The takeaway from this, based on the “correct” technique the C141 should have used, is that for the Gloucester arrival from the North for the NDB27, you should alter course to the West and ensure that you cross the NDB outbound within 30 degrees of the outbound course….. Which is what I would do.

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

AnthonyQ wrote:

The takeaway from this, based on the “correct” technique the C141 should have used, is that for the Gloucester arrival from the North for the NDB27, you should alter course to the West and ensure that you cross the NDB outbound within 30 degrees of the outbound course….. Which is what I would do.

Which is what I did on my IFR checkride :-)
Parallel entry in the hold/racetrack and then straight onto the outbound leg.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark
Sign in to add your message